Talk

Advanced search

Reclaim the Night - who's coming?

(68 Posts)
ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 25-Aug-10 16:23:26

Reclaim the Night

Saturday 27th November in London (links to marches in other locations/dates on the site too.)

So - anyone want to join me?

TheButterflyEffect Wed 25-Aug-10 16:27:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 25-Aug-10 16:39:31

yeah they were really brilliant, I missed them at Million Women Rise. We can have a search for cheap accomodation maybe? Some of the hostels around the british museum do private rooms that are quite cheap.

History of debauchery eh?

Well, don't we all grin

TheButterflyEffect Wed 25-Aug-10 16:44:00

Jazzicatz Wed 25-Aug-10 16:47:49

I have it in my diary!

ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 25-Aug-10 17:03:41

ha love it TBE - sisters are for this kind of thing. Maybe she would want to come? Or nieces?

Lastminute.com frankly scares me, esp when nothing is offered under £180, what nonsense. Gower St is good for cheap B&Bs too.

Hooray jazzicatz. Have you got a group to go with, or going it alone?

sethstarkaddersmum Wed 25-Aug-10 17:10:25

The only other one listed at the moment is Portsmouth - hopefully others will appear later on.

TheButterflyEffect Wed 25-Aug-10 17:16:13

steamedtreaclesponge Wed 25-Aug-10 17:35:52

Aaaah I wish I could! And it's quite close to my birthday so I could make all my friends come along to it instead of having a party <evil chuckle>

But I won't be here. Bother.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 25-Aug-10 17:38:45

I try to ask people even when I think they are going to look at me as if I have just sprouted a cactus from my head. grin

I had a look on womensgrid and found results from Manchester, Cambridge and (rather sweetly) Hampstead, all in spring of this year. A lot of them seem to be newish. Ooh, and Bristol and Newquay.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 25-Aug-10 17:39:55

Rats, treacle. Brilliant birthday party idea. It would be really fun, and there is even cake for sale at the party!

Whatever you're doing, get someone else to do it grin

squigglywig Wed 25-Aug-10 17:43:32

Try CouchSurfers? There must be other women on there who are going?

ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 25-Aug-10 17:51:27

Did a search for women in london on couchsurfers: link

ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 25-Aug-10 17:53:37

Scrap that - not all of them have couches apparently (what is world coming to)here

kittycat37 Wed 25-Aug-10 20:58:47

I would like to come if I can get childcare for DCs.

UmYeahLikeTotally Wed 25-Aug-10 21:31:42

I would love to come!!! Have never been to anything like this before so unsure of how it works....you just turn up??

ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 25-Aug-10 21:47:54

Pretty much UmYeah! Last year I armed myself with a friend (not compulsory) and turned up. I got asked to help steward because they were a bit short of volunteers. Then me and a few thousand other women walked through the streets of London, sometimes shouting, or singing, or just being quiet. Some strangers came and joined in. One older lady came out of her house which was on the route, in support of her daughter who had recently been violently raped. She told me the whole story, and how glad she was that there was a group of women on the streets shouting about it.

You can walk solemnly or noisily or thoughtfully or holding a banner or holding someone's hand. Or you can just use it as a way to walk through London after dark without being scared. The police accompany the march and one officer told me that he asks to do it every year as he supports the purposes of the march.

My friend started pulling the cards out of phoneboxes last year and loads of people joined in. The police didn't seem to notice

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 25-Aug-10 22:25:07

ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 25-Aug-10 22:52:08

where are you Stewie? will keep an eye out. Shame you can't come though

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 25-Aug-10 22:52:39

TheButterflyEffect Wed 25-Aug-10 23:14:30

ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 25-Aug-10 23:32:57

dunno, that's weird

ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 25-Aug-10 23:35:33

looking at the sheboom website, they played at one in st andrews on 7th May.

TheButterflyEffect Wed 25-Aug-10 23:39:29

TeddyBare Sun 29-Aug-10 14:56:32

Is there likely to be a Cardiff one?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: