2 weeks of bleeding and now left side pain.

(16 Posts)
FoofOfTheWalkingDead Mon 25-Jan-21 20:53:49

Hi, just wondering if anyone out there can give advice. I've been bleeding bright red for the last 2 weeks. Wasn't too concerned until today since I'm perimenopausal and periods tend to be irregular. This evening I've started getting sharp twinges in my left lower abdomen. I was going to wait until tomorrow to call the gp but should I ring nhs24 tonight instead? I'm 45 with no chance of being pregnant and not on any contraception. It's not really bad pain but taken together with the bleeding I'm getting a bit concerned!

OP’s posts: |
elsaesmeralda Mon 25-Jan-21 20:55:21

I think you should call if you've been bleeding bright red blood for two weeks and now having pains

FoofOfTheWalkingDead Mon 25-Jan-21 20:57:33

I thought so but I've got some health anxiety so I sometimes can't gauge when to take my internal (mental) worries seriously! I'll do DS bed and then phone. Thank you

Lisyloo725 Mon 25-Jan-21 21:05:12

@FoofOfTheWalkingDead are you ok? What did they say? X x

FoofOfTheWalkingDead Mon 25-Jan-21 21:49:56

Just got off the phone with a lovely call handler. They're not concerned it's an emergency but it needs to be investigated so I'm to phone gp first thing. So it's paracetamol and jumbo pads until then. Thanks so much, I feel much less anxious.

pebbles2021 Fri 29-Jan-21 11:57:41

Hi - I hope you're okay now? I am having a similar thing at the moment (although I am not sure if I am premenopausal or not) and getting frustrated by the constant bleeding and pains

FoofOfTheWalkingDead Sun 31-Jan-21 23:49:02

Hi @pebbkes2021, after 20 days it finally stopped. I didn't get any more pains but I called my gp anyway. She prescribed tranexamic acid and I've got a referral to gynecology. Apparently I'm not Peri-menopausal according to blood results. Have you contacted your gp?

mrsmangal Mon 01-Feb-21 00:20:06

I’ve had very similar OP, and similar GP response. Latest is period-like pain, quite severe, but very very light, brown bleeding. Goodness knows what’s going on.

Got an ultrasound coming up soon. Fingers crossed for both of us.

FoofOfTheWalkingDead Mon 01-Feb-21 11:18:28

Hi @mrsmangal, I had an ultrasound whilst all this was going on. Everything was normal except that my endometrial lining is thickened. The radiologist said this was common in woman my age but they're checking it out further. I would be interested to hear how you get on at the ultrasound and what else they do for you.
I would be overjoyed if they recommended a hysterectomy! My menstrual cycle has been nothing but trouble since I was 13. I think 32 years is enough.

pebbles2021 Mon 01-Feb-21 19:53:01

@FoofOfTheWalkingDead thanks for the reply. I spoke to my doctor twice last week and had some swabs done. Had a smear at the beginning of this month that was clear, thankfully. Ended up in hospital on Saturday as had awful bleeding overnight and I couldn't stand without falling. Came home yesterday after a night of fluids and a transfusion. Still have no idea what's going on and I have got to have a scan at some point. I have also been prescribed tranexamic acid.........watch this space!! Feeling pretty fed up about it all but not much else I can do now. Glad you're feeling better and hope they figure it all out soon for you x

mrsmangal Tue 02-Feb-21 09:57:45

I’ve also had a prolapse and I’ve done quite a bit of reading. I’d be reluctant to have a hysterectomy because I think it can cause lots of other problems down the line.

Poor you @pebbles2021. That sounds awful.

mrsmangal Fri 05-Feb-21 11:50:03

I had my ultrasound and everything was normal. What a relief. All just normal perimenopause...

FoofOfTheWalkingDead Mon 08-Feb-21 23:05:29

Great to know everything is ok @mrsmangal. Kind of a pain that you have to put up with the bleeding though. I've got a gynae appt on Friday for a biopsy of my uterine lining. All fingers crossed!

Milomonster Tue 09-Feb-21 19:34:37

@FoofOfTheWalkingDead (cool name btw). Please keep us posted.

FoofOfTheWalkingDead Mon 15-Feb-21 15:03:32

Went for my biopsy on Friday but will have to wait 2 weeks for results. Oh my goodness though, she had to do it 3 times before she was sure she got some proper cells! It was really painful, like someone was sticking a poker in my uterus... oh wait. Thankfully the pain dulled quickly when she was finished.
I wasn't worried about uterine cancer before this but she went through all the possibilities they might find and now I'm feeling anxious about the results. I hate not knowing so I hope they come in sooner than expected.
I hope the bleeding has now been controlled @pebbles2021 and that everyone is feeling ok.

FoofOfTheWalkingDead Tue 09-Mar-21 12:23:33

Just an update in case anyone's interested. The biopsy came back 100% normal. I'm going ahead with the mirena coil on Friday and REALLY hoping it helps. I've been bleeding consistently since January despite taking the tranexamic acid. I'm now on my actual period and when I woke up this morning it looked like someone had been massacred in my bed. I went to bed early with a migraine last night and hadn't been bleeding heavily at all so I didn't think to use an extra heavy duty pad. I've called in sick today, can't really look at screens, cramping like a vise, legs feeling weak when I walk upstairs. I started a c25k a couple weeks ago and was doing well but I've now missed 2 runs because of this. I'm so over my uterussadangry.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in