Postnatal flatulence

(11 Posts)
Pinkmoon33 Mon 11-Jan-21 19:08:03

Please help. 4 months post vaginal birth and I can't control my farting. I'm scared to exit lockdown because I'm not fit to re-enter society. I cant control myself. Is this normal? What can I do to stop it?

OP’s posts: |
TheBabyAteMyBrain Mon 11-Jan-21 19:08:53

Blame the baby.

Comps83 Mon 11-Jan-21 19:46:03

Oh god I'd forgotten about this . I'm not sure when I started being able to hold it in but yes it's normal

Nightmanagerfan Mon 11-Jan-21 19:48:25

I can relate! There are exercises you can do that done the muscles in the anus area that will really help. You will see a difference in two weeks or so. I’ll try to find the link to share.

PhilippaArchersOlderSister Mon 11-Jan-21 19:51:13

Pelvic floor exercises. The nhs squeezy app is great.

I remember those days, mine were sofa rumbling and completely uncontrollable.

Nightmanagerfan Mon 11-Jan-21 19:52:56

Here you go:

www.bladderandbowel.org/conservative-treatment/sphincter-exercises/

CatandBaby Mon 11-Jan-21 19:59:23

I was told by a physiotherapist to do what are basically pelvic floor exercises, but concentrating on the bum. I haven't been very good at doing them and still fart like a trouper though (5 months pp) blush

Tickly Mon 11-Jan-21 20:16:27

Please get a referral to pelvic health physio. Do you have any private health cover as it takes ages on the NHS? In any case, here's what I've gleaned after babies one two and three.
what many people get wrong with pelvic squeezes is to concentrate on trying to stop a wee. If you look at pictures of the pelvic floor, the bigger part of the muscle is towards the back, so you really want to focus on pulling that up, as if trying to not fart. Also check you're lifting up not pushing down (finger in vagina to check this). Start with squeeze app from nhs on 5s on 5s off and work up to 10s. Plus 10 x short lifts. Three times a day.
Try to remember to hold up your pelvic floor when pushing the buggy up and down kerbs etc.
Good luck OP.

Pinkmoon33 Tue 12-Jan-21 10:04:16

Thank you so much ladies for your advice. I have downloaded the squeeze app and will dedicate myself time to do these daily now. If things don't improve then I'll seek gp/physio advice.

My poor tolerant husband also thanks you.

OP’s posts: |
Kel2021 Tue 12-Jan-21 21:57:49

Had my baby 3 weeks ago and terrified I’ll still have a bad bleed don’t know if I’m ill or something but can’t seem to get it out my head!!

Tickly Tue 19-Jan-21 08:16:49

@Kel2021 if you're worried perhaps give your midwife or GP a ring. They should be able to provide a phone appointment to reassure you.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in