Cervical cancer referral. Please help.

(13 Posts)
Rainbow1501 Sat 24-Oct-20 22:55:19

Hi.
Could anyone help please?
Any positive thoughts or things they have gone through that could help?

I went to the doctor's due to a change in menstrual cycle, odd spotting mid month etc. As she checked me she told me my cervix is red and I need referring, both a gynaecology and ultrasound. I have two little ones and to put it bluntly my mind is running away with me terrified I won't be there for them in future. Has anyone been in a similar situation? What reasons are there for a red cervix? Any help would be amazing, I have no one to talk to.

Thankyou.

OP’s posts: |
Hannsmum Sun 25-Oct-20 01:14:49

Really sorry you are worrying

I don't really know too much but a red cervix usually means inflammation -a condition called cervicitis or something.

Its usually caused by an allergic reaction, std or bacteria

Im hoping its something that's easily treatable and hope you get it checked soon so you can be at ease xx

FreshfieldsGal Sun 25-Oct-20 06:24:13

Are you up to date with your cervical screenings op?
Agree with Hannsmum that it could just be some inflammation rather than anything more serious. Hopefully this is the case for you op, take care xx

BitOfFun Sun 25-Oct-20 06:42:07

It's far more likely to be cervical ectropion than anything really sinister. Please try not to worry.

WoWsers16 Sun 25-Oct-20 06:48:25

Hey! I got diagnosed with cervical cancer 2 months ago- currently going through chemo and radiation treatment. I have 3 children.
I am totally up to date with smears and they've always been clear- however now they only test for the HPV virus- not actual cancerous cells and 3% of cervical cancer does not involve the HPV virus (like mine) so smears can be useless sad

I had blood clots and originally they thought I needed a ectropion (scraping off extra blood cells or something). The Doctor could tell I had cervical cancer just from looking (large tumour) and did a biopsy anyway but could see - was a massive shock!) hardly any symptoms.

Hopefully it's just inflamed and it won't be anything too bad- I think there's so many things it can be my advise would be don't worry until you know for sure xx

WoWsers16 Sun 25-Oct-20 06:49:53

Also when it comes to the ultrasound I would make sure they do that really well and don't just take that into account as I had an external and internal ultrasound in July and both missed the 6cm tennis ball tumour I have!!

Caelano Sun 25-Oct-20 07:24:19

@Rainbow1501 I had my routine smear this month and as part of it the nurse said at one point, ‘I’m now going to use the speculum to have a good look at your cervix. Mind you, if it’s a little pink it may just be because of this procedure!’
So tbh as other have said, it’s far more likely to be due to irritation or inflammation.
My result was normal btw.
Good that you’re being checked but try not to over think it because it’s likely to be nothing major

Ballsto2020 Sun 25-Oct-20 13:19:00

Try not to let your thoughts run away with you, easier said than done I know, just try to focus on the next appointment and no further. If you are really struggling with anxiety speak to your gp as they can give you something to help with that. Remember most cancer referrals don’t end up in a cancer diagnosis. I have just been through similar and I have a young son so I know how you feel. Staying in the moment helps, try not to worry about what might be coming as you don’t know yet and all could be fine, you’re a long way from leaving your children xx

Rainbow1501 Sun 25-Oct-20 22:33:56

THANKYOU. THANKYOU AND THANKYOU AGAIN. SO MUCH!
I can't tell you how happy your replies have helped. I've read each one 3 times! My appt is tomorrow so I'm keeping calm and my fingers crossed.

Thankyou again.
Also, my last smear was about 2 years ago.

OP’s posts: |
stclair Sun 25-Oct-20 22:36:50

The website www.jostrust.co.uk is brilliant for all things cervical.

stclair Sun 25-Oct-20 22:37:46

Sorry, www.jostrust.org.uk

housemdwaswrong Sun 25-Oct-20 22:41:03

I've had connects about it being inflamed and red at many of my smears. I've had 3 abnormal ones, which were normal on repeat 3 months later. Never found a cause, I think it's just an angry organ smile

Needn't always be sinister.

Good luck xxx

polkadotpixie Tue 27-Oct-20 14:24:41

How did you get on yesterday @Rainbow1501? I've been referred for the exact same reason today (red inflamed cervix but she said I had some ulceration too). I'm really scared

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in