Large Cyst

(8 Posts)
HappyHippo123 Sun 30-Aug-20 16:44:49

Hi so I had an ultrasound last week and they found a 14cm complex mass and a 5cm ovarian cyst, they have referred my for an MRI, but my question is will they want to operate to remove the 14cm mass and is this considered a major operation? How long will I have to spend in hospital? Also they said that the mass was posterior to the right overt towards the bladder, could this cause urge incontinence as have suffered without his for some time?

OP’s posts: |
Norugratsatall Sun 30-Aug-20 22:32:53

Hi. I had an ovarian cyst the size of an orange on my right ovary nearly 30 years ago. I had it removed surgically, surgeon 'reconstructed' my right ovary during the op and I was fine afterwards! Needed six weeks off work and a six day stay in hospital..
Pretty sure I never ovulated from that ovary afterward though ( I always had severe ovulation pains so knew when and from which side I was ovulating). It didn't affect my fertility though and I went on to have two children (now adults). Can't comment on bladder issues but I never had any problems in this regard. Good luck.

Overthinker13 Tue 01-Sep-20 21:03:24

Hello, I had a 5 inch complex ovarian cyst removed in February. It had engulfed my ovary so that and my Fallopian tube were also removed. Due to the size it could only be removed through major abdominal surgery and I was in hospital for 3 nights. I needed 6 weeks off work. The cyst turned out to a benign dermoid cyst following the biopsy.

Overthinker13 Tue 01-Sep-20 21:06:47

Sorry also so add regarding the incontenance , I wet myself whilst out running one day and it was actually that which got me to the doctors and ultimately led to them finding the cyst. I haven’t had and episodes since they removed it so I would say that your cyst could possibly be responsible for that too. Big love x

HappyHippo123 Wed 02-Sep-20 14:53:16

Thank you so much for your kind words and for sharing your experience, I’m so glad to hear that the incontinence cleared up once your cyst was removed, I’m really worried about the effect this will have on my future fertility though as I am only in my 20s and yet to have any children.

Overthinker13 Wed 02-Sep-20 15:05:18

I can totally understand why you are worried about your fertility. That said, it is highly unlikely that the 14cm cyst would be mean the removal of both ovaries, if any. The doctors will do whatever possible to ensure you can keep them and even with one ovary it is entirely possible to become pregnant (a friend of mine had her ovary removed in her 20's and has two lovely children).

HappyHippo123 Wed 02-Sep-20 15:34:07

Thank you once again for the kind and reassuring message your right the ultrasound showed all the activity on one of the ovaries the other appeared clear so I shouldn’t worry too much about that

cherrybakewellll Wed 02-Sep-20 15:37:08

Hi OP. When I had my 12 week ultrasound for my 3rd pregnancy, which was last year, they found a cyst the size of a tennis ball on my left ovary. At the ultrasound they told me very little so all sorts of worst case scenarios were running through my head. I work in a healthcare setting so you'd think I would have used my logic but it's different when it's reality.
They decided due to pregnancy to see how it went and if it didn't cause me any issues (ie burst) then they would look at removal after the birth. Luckily it cleared itself up and as far as I know it's not there now.
Wishing you all the best x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in