Possible endometriosis

(8 Posts)
FebruaryJuly Wed 19-Aug-20 08:45:38

Hello,

I have been offered a laparoscopy due to endometriosis symptoms and failure to find any other reasons for my pains and symptoms through bloods and scans. What is the possibility of finding nothing in the laparoscopy. Is it worth having? Doctor said the only way of finding endometriosis is through the laparoscopy.

Have any of you ever had one and been in the same position as me where you aren't sure if they will find anything or not?

Did they find anything?
Did they not find anything?
Is it worth it?

We have also been TTC with no luck which is another symptom added on top of the pains and irregular spotting between periods.

OP’s posts: |
FebruaryJuly Wed 19-Aug-20 09:59:31

Bump

justkeeprunning5 Wed 19-Aug-20 10:10:34

Hi there,
I’ve had 2, one to do with a cyst on my ovary and they happened to find endo. The second as I had endometriomas on ovaries. I have no symptoms.

The operation isn’t too bad - it’s over in 45 minutes and recovery wise it’s take it easy for 2 weeks - I was off work (I WFH in second week) bloated tummy and felt a bit bruised. Random shoulder pain from the gas they pump in.

For me it was worth it as my tubes were stuck to my organs and they flushed them out at the same time, should make you ‘good as new’ for 6-12 months if they detect it and could help with TTC and hopefully the pain you experience. We went down the IVF route in the end but given everything I know I would still opt for the OP to have given us the opportunity of natural conception.

Is this NHS? It’s great they have taken this stuff seriously.

FebruaryJuly Wed 19-Aug-20 10:22:30

@justkeeprunning5 Yes, NHS. I was offered it a year ago before trying to conceive based just on symptoms. I said no then as I wanted to TTC very soon and they said if I change my mind to come back. Now that we have been trying for baby number 2 with no luck for 8 months (baring in mind I was offered it before trying to conceive) I am going back to ask to go on the list and considering they offered it a hear ago, I hope I can still take that offer up. The symptoms started 4 years ago after baby number 1 and he was conceived in the second cycle after an early miscarriage in the first cycle, so getting this far we not even a chemical pregnancy this time has really shocked and worried me.

I am just worried that I will go through it all for them to find nothing because all of my scans over the last 4 years have shown nothing (a part from once finding a cyst on my ovaries that sorted itself out). But then I know they can't really see endometriosis through a scan. X

FebruaryJuly Wed 19-Aug-20 10:59:19

Anymore advice from anybody?

justkeeprunning5 Wed 19-Aug-20 11:39:45

As you say you can’t see endometriosis on a scan, only way is to go in and take a look.

Hopefully they can put you back on the list if you decide to go that way.

Hopefully you get some others reply to you soon. All the best.

FebruaryJuly Wed 19-Aug-20 11:41:00

@justkeeprunning5 thank you! X

LethargicButAwesome Sat 05-Sep-20 15:06:13

Hey what symptoms if any did you have

I was diagnosed with pcos after ttc for 3 years. I also have an under active thyroid. However last night I just had a realisation that the pangs I fee and dismissed during intercourse maybe something bigger than just bad positioning. Having asked to see my consultant as an under her care for fertility but don't know if she will see me randomly as I am not scheduled to see her for another 9 months

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in