Desogestrel - positive experiences?

(4 Posts)
namesnamesnamesnames Tue 11-Aug-20 13:07:38

Can I hear positive experiences of being on this pill please?

I am taking it in order to stop terrible periods.

OP’s posts: |
PaperMonster Sun 16-Aug-20 19:10:18

I’ve been on it for a couple of years. Had a couple of spotting episodes and that’s it. I’m on it because my periods were making me very spaced out and I was unable to function. It was a very bizarre experience, like being on the outside looking in.

WishMyNameWasWittyNotShitty Sun 16-Aug-20 19:52:04

I went on it after my first baby, and then back on it after our second (planned).

Both times it has pretty much stopped my periods, I get the odd one a year, I think in the past 12 months I have had one.

I haven't had any side effects, and I was really lucky to fall pregnant with my second a few months after coming off it.

I hope it's side effect free for you.

SnackBitch2020 Thu 20-Aug-20 11:52:15

Same here OP.

I am late thirties with heavy periods and want something that will hopefully stop them completely. I'd be happy with lighter periods though. I am now on the third week of taking generic desogestrel 75mg.

I started taking it on day 7 of my cycle due to the timing of GP phone call apt, and was advised to use extra contraception for a week. My period had stopped a day or two before I started taking the pill. The first 2-3 days of taking the pill I had mild period pains on and off. Then about 2 weeks in I had a day or two of mild breast tenderness.

Mid month I normally have heavy clear discharge, presumably around ovulation, which was a pain. Didn't get that this month - hurrah!

My period started yesterday as would be expected if I were not taking the pill and it is much lighter - hurrah! I had some mild period pains before it started so there was a "warning" it was on its way.

So far, I've felt totally fine, no mood problems or any other side effects. The two side effects mentioned above were very mild and didn't bother me. It's early days, but I'm hoping in time my periods will stop completely.

Before starting desogestrel I'd been off any contraception for several years. I took Logynon (combined pill) for many years problem free, until I started getting crushing headaches and very high blood pressure and had to stop. Before that I took microgynon for a month, bled continuously and felt like crap.

Fingers crossed the pill works out for you!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in