Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.
This is a Premium feature
To use this feature subscribe to Mumsnet Premium - get first access to new features see fewer ads, and support Mumsnet.Start using Mumsnet Premium
Help with night shifts!!!!(4 Posts)
I work in emergency services (4 years), and as time has gone on, I'm finding it more difficult to sleep between nights. I worked last night, I've just woken up after 4 hours sleep now during the day, and got to go to work again tonight. I feel like my body is against me. I'm tired, but my body just keeps waking after about 4 hours. I'm close to tears, I'm so frustrated.
I have black out curtains but loads of light gets round the edges so I'm going to get a stick on blind to help make the room super dark, but I feel like i need some sleeping tablets or something? Has anyone tried any? I just feel I need knocking out for 8 hours!!!
My sympathies, it's shit isn't it?
These are some of the things that help me when I'm on nights:
- Definitely a black out blind or similar, or in the short term maybe tape the curtains to the wall to close the gap? Anything to block all the light out.
- Some sort of white noise helps me, I have an wake up light alarm clock that also has a sunset setting with white noise which I find really helpful, but you could just play white noise on your phone, spotify has some playlists.
- The calm app is brilliant, you have to pay after the first week (I think it's 20 - 30 ish a year so not masses) but it has loads of guided meditations for sleep which are brilliant and I swear by.
- Wearing sunglasses on the way home helps cut your exposure to sunlight and stops your brain realising it's the daytime, I've definitely noticed a difference since I've started doing that.
- An orgasm can help sleep, for some reason I never see this given as a suggestion but it definitely works.
Also I've never tried it myself, but I know people who find melatonin tablets really helpful, it's not for everyone and is generally only used for short periods of time but maybe worth looking into?
I generally sleep ok when I'm on days. It's the between nights that's killing me. And not I'm in the cycle of being so frustrated and angry with myself, that I can't sleep anyway. I've never been a great sleeper between nights, but it's just getting worse and worse.
I do think I need some meditation to help calm my mind. Will definitely sort out my curtains. I play white noise anyway as that helps my toddler sleep too. I've tried some basic herbal tablets, but I think I need something stronger. Arghhhh I'm so tired, why work today my body just take a hint and go to sleep!!!!!!!!
Hi OP, sympathies it’s very frustrating. I have blackouts but you do need the edges sealed up, and use an eye mask as well. Agree with PP that a white noise machine makes a massive difference (I find the machine much better than just playing white noise on your phone, better speakers, can buy off amazon for about £20, but you could use a white noise playlist on Spotify in the meantime). Sunglasses on the way home and not too much stimulation, no TV etc when you get home I just eat and go straight to bed.