Early menopause?

(6 Posts)
esmejane Fri 24-Jul-20 10:42:16

I’m 39 and recently feel really off before my periods. About a week before my period starts I’m spotting on and off, feel totally exhausted and run down, getting mouth ulcers, sore throat and sweats. Then my periods are extremely heavy.

This isn’t usual for me at all. I keep up to date with my smear tests so am thinking it’s just hormonal, just interested to know if anyone else has gone through this and if you used any vitamins or supplements?

OP’s posts: |
MissL85 Sat 20-Feb-21 17:50:21

How are you getting on with this, OP?

I'm concerned I'm going through the early menopause as well. My periods used to be every four weeks like clockwork. I had two miscarriages within the last five years and gradually they have gone down to 21 days to possibly 24-25 days at a push. I'm bleeding for longer and the last period I had, I bled for 8 days.

My period is significantly late - over 5 weeks - which is not like me. I want to put it down to stress, but I'm always stressed and never missed a period before in my whole entire life. I have taken a pregnancy test and I'm not pregnant. I'm dry down there. It just doesn't feel right. I'm 35 and worried that this is the start for me.

Suzi888 Sat 20-Feb-21 17:57:00

Get one of the tests from Boots, that will let you know if you are and then next step the G.P @MissL85 you are very young.
I’m 42 and I’ve had a few night sweats in summer but nothing else since confused periods still regular. Just feel much older lately!

MissL85 Sat 20-Feb-21 19:28:57

Will the tests tell me, if I'm starting to go through it? Or that I'm at the end of it?

I actually think this is the start of it - so I don't know how accurate it's going to be. I think I will ring the doctors on Monday. I tried to buy one at Tesco, but they didn't have any in.

Bee0808 Sat 20-Feb-21 19:41:48

I was 40
My peri menopause started quite dramatically with heart issues and sadly HRT (horrendous side effects) nor endometrial ablation have helped so I'm now 48 and just dealing with the symptoms as best I can.
You could try supplements such as B complex, magnesium, agnus castus or menopace.

JinglingHellsBells Sun 21-Feb-21 12:37:07

Don't waste money on OTC meno tests- they are useless and a bit of a con.

For women over 45 the NICE meno guidance is treat symptoms without a blood test. This is because hormones change daily in peri so they might show post meno one day, normal the next, or peri another day.

For women under 45, you need a blood test by your GP, done over 2 cycles, between days 2-5 of each cycle. That will show your FSH levels and estrogen. Don't allow your dr to take blood at the wrong time!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in