Got my Pre-Op! Anyone else ?

(6 Posts)
UnbalancedMum Tue 14-Jul-20 13:43:04

I’m due to have a total abdominal hysterectomy for adenomyosis. I’ve been waiting a long time and due to lockdown postponing everything wasn’t sure when things would restart.

I’ve just got a pre-op date for next Thursday, I think I have to self isolate before the surgery due to restrictions etc. Do you think this means my surgery could be soon ?!

Also, any tips for the pre-op or going into hospital/staying would be appreciated this is my first planned operation.
Thanks !

OP’s posts: |
Literallyfedup Thu 16-Jul-20 22:05:22

Pre op assessment is simple - height, weight , pulse, bp and MRSA test is done by a nurse then a pre op nurse will ask about other medical details including if you have any carer after the surgery. You will have to get blood done twice for blood group. One on the pre op day another on the same day of surgery.
You will get a booklet which will inform you about your procedure and what to bring with you. Do take your medication, dressing gown, slippers , phone with charger but leave your jewellery behind.
I think you will have to self isolate as a family before surgery now and will have to undergo covid test before surgery.

UnbalancedMum Fri 17-Jul-20 07:25:38

Thank you! 😊

emmathedilemma Fri 17-Jul-20 10:47:33

Pre-op is usually with a week or so of your surgery date. I'd probably ring and check that hasn't gone awol in the post.
In my experience hospitals are a billion degrees hot so take lightweight nightwear, ear plugs and a black out eye mask if you want more than a wink of sleep. Even when I was in a few months ago and had my own room I used the ear plugs as there was people coming & going and buzzers going off outside in the corridor all through the night. Download some things to watch onto your ipad or tablet if you have one and take an easy read book or some magazines / puzzle book type things too, nothing that involves very much concentration!

UnbalancedMum Fri 17-Jul-20 16:09:59

Thank you very much, I will ring the hospital on Monday to make sure a letter hasn’t got lost in the post!

DivisionBelles Fri 17-Jul-20 16:18:31

I had a total hysterectomy done laparoscopically six weeks ago. Mine was for cancer though - luckily caught early so all gone with the op.

My top tips for things you may need in hospital would be a long phone lead, mint tea for the wind, nighties not PJs, big knickers and lip balm. I was only in one night. Provided you can wee a few times without a catheter and can walk a bit they seem to be happy to let you go home. I felt very safe in hospital and everyone who treated me was lovely.

There's a great FB group, if you are on FB, called Hysterectomy Sisters which is full of advice and support from women who have, or a due to have the same surgery.

Good luck OP x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in