Is it normal to bleed on mirena?

(20 Posts)
tuado Fri 12-Jun-20 17:45:49

I got my mirena about a year ago and ever since I have on and off had cramping in my lower back, hips, lower stomach and sometimes my leg. About a month or two after it was put in I had a check up and it was all fine and in place still. About 3 days ago I started bleeding with pains which felt how my old period pains felt and wondering if it's normal for irregular bleeding on mirena? I didn't bleed at all until the last few days and wondering if this is a period or something more sinistersad

OP’s posts: |
strawberry2017 Fri 12-Jun-20 21:39:22

I don't know anybody who has had the mirena coil that hasn't had strange bleeding.
It's the reason I won't consider it.
I like to know what's going on.
X

juliej00ls Sat 13-Jun-20 08:16:44

Currently trying to find mine ... with the help of the doctor . Have it in for just over 6 months. Never really settled but bleeding less heavy. Starting week 3 of a medium to heavy period . Very fed up!

Jordan1408 Sat 13-Jun-20 22:55:53

I have had mirena in for 3 years now and the last 6 months had nothing but really painfull cramps and bad backache and i just dont feel myself. I looke about 5 months pregnant i have 4 children already. Sex life is non exsistant and i think it down to the coil. Husband trying to convince me to go for one more. X

DramaAlpaca Sat 13-Jun-20 22:58:03

I bled on and off for the first six months, nothing like as heavily as before though, but after that not at all.

emmathedilemma Tue 16-Jun-20 10:55:38

I had almost constant bleeding of varying levels of heaviness with mine, probably had less than a week a month when I didn't need some form of protection. I did have fibroids though so that might have made it worse. I had cramps like i've never had before. Mine fell out in a very heavy bleeding episode but I was close to asking for it to be removed.

Jordan1408 Tue 16-Jun-20 20:50:42

Just not sure what to do since having it in i think it causing my stomach to bloat so much i have ibs so i dont know if it adding to it. But fed up looking pregnant and always being tired.

MrsGxx Fri 19-Jun-20 23:19:51

My coil is 8 months due out and I have recently for the past 2 weeks been experiencing pelvic pain, lower back pain, lower stomach/hip pain.
I think my coil may have something to do with this and needs to come out x

Mrsmchammer Fri 19-Jun-20 23:23:38

I still get period pain albeit tolerable now. Rarely bleed with it though. Which is weird.

MrsHoolie Sat 20-Jun-20 01:02:09

I am one of the lucky ones. I had one period after it was fitted and not one since (3 years ago). No aches and pains either.

Habbyhadno Sat 20-Jun-20 01:11:23

I've had it since September and I'm now bleeding lightly, but every two weeks for a week a go. I've twice had cramps that feel exactly like never ending contractions that Nurofen has eased off but both times I've told DH that if the painkillers don't work I have to go to A&E, I've got quite a good pain tolerance and they were that bad.

weegiemum Sat 20-Jun-20 01:37:03

I had no bleeding, no hormonal migraines and no difficult side effects. I loved my mirena. Then, unbeknownst to me, it decided to slide into my cervix.

Resulting baby is now 16. Dh had the snip!

gluteustothemaximus Sat 20-Jun-20 01:52:39

Bled constantly for 3 months. Now period every month lighter but for 2 weeks. Bad headaches with period. Bloating makes me look pregnant. Getting me down.

But I can't go back to heavy bleeding sad

katew355 Sat 20-Jun-20 19:54:14

I had mine fitted in August specifically due to very heavy periods. I'm still getting periods that last about 7 days but they're not as heavy as they were (although still quite bad). However, I now have no idea when I'm likely to come on which is really annoying ☹️ The can be anywhere from every 3 weeks to every 5. If I get to a year of having it fitted and it's still like this I will get it removed x

emmathedilemma Mon 22-Jun-20 13:19:29

That was exactly how I was @katew355! It promised so much and delivered so little sad I would definitely go back if it hasn't settled by now.

Habbyhadno Sat 27-Jun-20 10:36:56

God I'm having a right time of it now. So last Friday I had horrendous cramps as I said above, Felt like constant contractions, they went completely after I had some Nurofen but I started bleeding last Saturday and it's not stopped all week, still going now. I thought I'd had my period two weeks ago as it was light and not bright red which is what I usually get but I've got no idea what's happening now, I haven't had any more cramps just the neverending bleeding. Any advice?

raspran Sun 28-Jun-20 02:10:47

I had heavy periods each month until I get it taken out.

changeofname890 Sun 28-Jun-20 02:22:06

I'm 4 years into my 2nd Medina coil. This one I do bleed more regularly, sometimes I can have a bit of spotting for a few days every month, then nothing for months. Is a bit annoying as I never know when to expect it, but still better than having proper periods.
But with my first one I barely had any bleeding at all. It's due to be removed next May, I'll definitely have another one though

longtompot Mon 29-Jun-20 10:06:52

I had one fitted last June. Lots of bleeding in between periods and much more painful periods. Huge clots too. I eventually passed it at 5am one morning on my bathroom floor in Feb this year. The spotting has stopped but still have heavy periods due to fibroids.

Habbyhadno Mon 29-Jun-20 10:33:00

This is what I'm getting. I thought my periods were getting lighter but now I seem to have a week of dark red/brown bleeding. Then a week off then bright red proper period bleeding. It's driving me insane, I keep getting UTIs because I've constantly got to wear pads. I don't know what to do for the best really, I don't want to go back to the heavy bleeding but to be honest at least that's over with in a week, this is pretty much constant bleeding

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in