Stopping the pill

(4 Posts)
HorsesDoovers Sat 23-May-20 07:56:18

Not sure if I am posting this is in the right place
I'm 45 years old and have been on the pill for 11 years ever since I stopped breastfeeding my youngest DS. I was on the combined pill for 10 of those years but changed to the mini pill because I had some migraines with visual aura. The mini pill has improved my mood somewhat but I am considering stopping altogether. My breasts seem very tender and sore a lot of the time, bleeding is very erratic, I still get PMS, I don't really need it for contraception as a) I am old now! And b) my sex life is practically non existent anyway (happily married but that element has dwindled for a number of reasons).
Would you just stop in my position? I'm so fed up of taking artificial hormones and curious to see what happens without them. Any advice or experiences gratefully received.

OP’s posts: |
Idododoidadada Sat 23-May-20 09:03:30

The advice is to keep using contraception until age 55 just to be safe so if you stop the pill can you rely on DH to always use condoms?

From the nhs website

Stopping contraception

All women can stop using contraception at the age of 55 as getting pregnant naturally after this is very rare. For safety reasons, women are advised to stop the combined pill at 50 and change to a progestogen-only pill or other method of contraception.

The Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists has guidance on contraception for women over 40.

It is sensible to use a barrier method of contraception, such as condoms, to avoid getting sexually transmitted infections (STIs), even after the menopause.

Bagelsandbrie Sat 23-May-20 09:06:47

Don’t go down the route of thinking you’re too old to need contraception! Plenty of women conceive age 45ish!

If you’re having hormonal difficulties consider HRT - you may be pre menopausal. (You can still get pregnant if you are)! You might benefit from some oestrogen treatment - your mini pill won’t have oestrogen in it.

HorsesDoovers Sat 23-May-20 09:13:03

Yes DH would always use a condom, we've had to rely on them in the past for contraception and never had a problem. I did have a blood test to see if I needed HRT a while back as I thought I was peri menopausal but it came back showing that my hormone levels were normal.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in