Breast clinic

(4 Posts)
MeadowHay Wed 20-May-20 09:26:32

Hi, can anyone tell me roughly what to expect at the breast clinic? My GP referred me and said I would probably have an ultrasound scan but not much else. I'm not at all concerned about cancer btw as it's so so unlikely based on my medical history etc. I'm just really anxious about going because I have an anxiety disorders and I'm autistic, and new places, especially medical settings, are triggers for my anxiety. I'm also terrified about the possibility of biopsy or anything that I'd need local anaesthetic for, as local anaesthetic doesn't work well on me, which I've learnt the hard way, so I'm worried about pain too. In normal circs I would have DH come with .e but obviously not allowed now.

OP’s posts: |
ednatheevilwitch Wed 20-May-20 09:30:21

If it's a one stop shop you will probably be examined first to identify any lumps then depending on what you find they will carry out ultrasound, mammogram and anything else they can do there and then. I have done this three times now and each time the lumps have been cysts (very common especially between the ages of 40 and menopause apparently). Bizarrely on two occasions my appointments have been on my birthday! They are very good and will put you at ease.

MeadowHay Wed 20-May-20 09:39:25

Thank you. I'm in my twenties and have a lump in one breast and the other breast feels like it had multiple lumps in one area. My DH is a HCP, although newly qualified and not at an all an expert in breasts - but he has examined me and thinks it's cystics/fibrocystic breast. No family history of breast cancer or any previous lumps and no sinister symptoms. So I'm not at all concerned about cancer, I'm just anxious about the whole experience, being examined and waiting around and talking to strangers and things eek. Have you ever had a cyst drained? The breast with multiple lumps are sore and the pain was pretty bad during my withdrawal bleed (I'm on the combined pill) a few weeks ago, to the point where I had to take paracetamol and ibuprofen for a few days at it's worst.

OP’s posts: |
iemma321q Mon 01-Jun-20 06:41:46

When is your appointment?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in