Rectocele - grateful for any advice

(4 Posts)
prolapsedmama Sun 10-May-20 22:46:46

Has anyone been in this situation who can help or provide some reassuring words…

I’m fairly certain that after blowing up a paddling pool last weekend (of all things…) I now have a rectocele. Everything seem to be a bit ‘lower’ and I can see a slight bulge just inside my vagina which wasn’t there before. It’s not painful but is uncomfortable and feels heavy and horrible.

I am feeling pretty rubbish about it. I had a very traumatic assisted birth with episiotomy with DS1. It took forever for the scar to feel normal. I gave birth 8 months ago and everything went ok except I tore along the same scar. Because of all the unpleasantness first time round I have been so careful about everything and really working on my pelvic floor ever since. I’ve been going to postnatal physio classes. I thought my pelvic floor was pretty good. Haven’t had any incontinence issues.

I guess I feel really let down by my body. I was expecting to be leaking wee but not for any sort of prolapse. Being ‘locked down’ isn’t helping. I know it isn’t exactly a medical emergency but I would really like someone to look at it. DH has been sympathetic but was initially a bit grossed out about it which upset me even more. I don’t feel like I have anyone to talk to about it right now.

Anyone have any advice. I’m being careful to not get constipated or strain, doing my kegels, not running or lifting. I hope to lose a bit more weight. I am at the higher end of ‘normal’ so not over weight but could still lose a few pounds. Can it be improved at all or is this now it forever and the aim is to just stop it getting worse? I am still breastfeeding. I read somewhere that that doesn’t help as more oestrogen can help firm things up but would that actually make a difference? We also planned to have a third but not sure that is a great idea. Do pessaries work or are they just for other types of prolapse?

Thanks in advance.

OP’s posts: |
prolapsedmama Mon 11-May-20 10:05:23

Anyone?

IsletsOfLangerhans Thu 14-May-20 08:06:30

Just seen this. I have the ‘opposite’ problem - a cystocoele. Noticed a bulge a couple of months ago. Got a phone GP appointment and ended up going up for an examination that afternoon. I’ve been prescribed a vaginal ring, to be fitted next week. So don’t sit and wait - it may not seem to be an emergency, but my GP was happy I’d rang and was on the ball getting it sorted.

prolapsedmama Thu 14-May-20 13:48:42

Thanks for your reply. I had a phone appointment 2 days ago where I was referred but told I would be waiting a long time because they are currently not taking patients. Initially he thought he might have a colleague who could fit a pessary but rang back later to say they can't. I'm just feeling a bit rubbish as it's so uncomfortable, even just standing up. I would feel so much better if I could see a dr

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in