Coil IUD

(20 Posts)
Louisana Thu 09-Jan-20 12:38:33

wasn't too sure where to post this.

I got the coil a few days ago an so far eveything seems fine I just have very light bleeding at the moment. I just wanted to know what everyone's experience has been like getting the IUD coil as I have been hearing mixed reviews.

I understand everyone's body is different but I just wanted to know peoples experiences with the coil?

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
rm1234 Thu 09-Jan-20 12:40:42

Mine is fab! Periods are a bit longer now but genuinely it's been so easy for me. The pain the first few periods was quite intense though.

Louisana Thu 09-Jan-20 12:43:51

@rm1234 thanks for your reply. How long are your periods now with coil ? That's what a lot of people have said that periods usually last longer and first few months quite painful

rm1234 Thu 09-Jan-20 13:05:27

No worries -

Sorry if this is TMI 🤣

Day 1 - cramping and brown discharge
Day 2-5 bright red blood, some clots
6-7 brown discharge

So it's a week in total.

Louisana Thu 09-Jan-20 13:17:13

@rm1234 haha don't worry about the TMI as I want to get as much information because after reading the reviews I got a little worried an was thinking if I made the right decision get the IUD coil. But a week isn't too bad I think that's ok. Well let's see how I get on. Iv only had it in 2 days lol so have got very light bleeding.

When u got the IUD how many days at the start did u bleed for ? Sorry for bombarding you with questions lol

stilldoesntknowwhatshappening Thu 09-Jan-20 13:18:33

Mine wasn't great.

I bled constantly and then it came away and I had to remove it from my vagina.

Don't think I'll be trying that again.

rm1234 Thu 09-Jan-20 13:22:43

It was just a couple of days if I remember with some spotting before periods and sometimes in the middle of my cycle!

Ask away, honestly. Everyone has such different experiences.

Louisana Thu 09-Jan-20 13:50:04

@rm1234 ohh right ok. An when did you check to see if the IUD was in place ? I was told u have to check after every single period?

Louisana Thu 09-Jan-20 13:50:44

@stilldoesntknowwhatshappening ohh noo that's not good. How was it when you got it removed ? Was it painful

stilldoesntknowwhatshappening Thu 09-Jan-20 13:54:21

I removed it in my bathroom lol.
No it didn't hurt at all (I dread to think what that makes my vajajay) I was just shocked and then panicked about being pregnant. I've gone back to the implant.

But there will always be bad story. My mum got pregnant with me on the IUD. But I've heard loads of great stories about them.
I've always had the implant and been fine but I've read awful side affects on here.

Louisana Thu 09-Jan-20 13:57:19

@stilldoesntknowwhatshappening OMG as if you removed it in the bathroom lol I would've been so scared 😂 but then again I'm like the biggest wimp ever.

Yes I guess eveyone is different. Main reason I got the IUD because it was non hormonal. I was on the pill and I was literally a wreck always upset an moody and acne also came back so had to come off. Just hope this now works out!

stilldoesntknowwhatshappening Thu 09-Jan-20 14:02:50

I couldn't not. It was in the vagina. Pointy bits and all. I may have called the OOH but I was home alone with three kids. Wasn't going to happen lol
I'd say you'd know in a couple of weeks. There was some signs before that we weren't compatible.

My husband felt it stab him during sex and the bleeding was continuous.

rm1234 Thu 09-Jan-20 14:19:08

I occasionally check the strings but to be honest it's not that often! I reckon if it moved I'd feel it. I'm a pure hypochondriac, so I'm sure I'd notice 🤣

I had my smear in March and she said the string was quite short but nothing too concerning.

Louisana Thu 09-Jan-20 17:15:36

@stilldoesntknowwhatshappening noo way!! That's just scared the hell out of me !! I haven't had sex yet I was told to wait 3 days. So if bleeding has stopped then il see how
It goes! Hope my husband doesn't feel it otherwise I'd freak out lol

Louisana Thu 09-Jan-20 17:16:42

@rm1234 aww I'm also a hypochondriac like the worst!!! 😂😂 well fingers crossed it all goes well for me. I'm going to check mine in a few weeks an see if I can feel the strings!

Jiggles101 Thu 09-Jan-20 23:28:29

I'm on my second one, I would never use anything else!

You don't need to check the strings after every period, I never check mine except when I have a smear test.

First few periods were heavier, now they've settled down but maybe last a little longer. No biggy and way better than using hormonal contraceptives - of which there is a huge conspiracy of silence around their impact on women's mental/physical health.

crazycatladi Thu 09-Jan-20 23:37:08

Currently have the copper but thinking of getting the Mirena?

Hate the heavy periods and pain associated!

emmathedilemma Fri 10-Jan-20 13:17:21

Horrendous! had one fitted just over a year to supposedly help resolve heavy bleeding caused by fibroids. After the initial bleeding from it being fitted I had almost constant spotting / light bleeding for over 6 months. I've had period pains like i've never had before and only in the last couple of months have I had anything like "time off" between periods. My gynae thought it had been expelled in a recent particularly heavy bleeding session (NHS24 sent me to A&E!) but an MRI suggests it is still there.....although neither of us can find the strings so I'm now i'm looking at a procedure under general anaesthetic to get the damn thing out!
There are so many people who love them but i am not a fan and will be glad to see the back of it!

Chocolateandchats Fri 10-Jan-20 13:20:26

I was in agony with the copper coil. Horrible, heavy, long periods and the only positive was not having hormones pumped into me. I lasted three months and then got the Mirena. It’s brilliant. Short, light periods and the hormone balances me out so I’m much less emotional.

pinkyboots1 Fri 10-Jan-20 13:40:19

I've got to be honest.. had mine in a couple of years and I've had no problems at all, my periods got lighter and no more painful. I chose not to have the Mirena as I was after a non chemical contraception after bad experience with the implant

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in