Anyone take transemic acid?

(7 Posts)
DaisyDreaming Thu 02-Jan-20 01:19:12

My periods can be light or they can be super heavy and go on for weeks, or they can be light and suddenly flood (running down legs type flooding). I have transemic acid prescribed for ‘when needed’ but interested to know when others use it. Do you wait to find out if your flooding this cycle to use it, do you wait until you get to the part of the cycle when it gets heavier or do you take it at the start?

OP’s posts: |
FeigningHorror Thu 02-Jan-20 01:20:50

I wait till my period gets more than normally heavy before using.

EBearhug Thu 02-Jan-20 01:22:26

I don't use it every period, but it's usually clear within the first day if it's going to be particularly heavy.

OvenGlovesWillTearUsApart Thu 02-Jan-20 01:28:00

My periods were awful. I used to take tranexamic acid and mefenamic acid (can’t remember if both at same time).

It is best to start taking it as soon as your period starts. I think I took them for four or five days each time. If in doubt, keep taking until the bleeding stops.

When things got really bad I took norethisterone (a progestogen).

I’ve had my Mirena coil in for four years now, which has knocked it all on the head! I don’t know if I’ll have another period now (I’m mid-forties).

Bigmama1378 Sat 04-Jan-20 10:01:31

Hi there,

One of my daughters and I are on tranexemic acid for heavy periods.

The advice we got from our GP was take it as soon as period starts for three days, two tablets three times a day.

I have tried taking it from day two as this is when my period becomes very heavy but it tends to work better for me if I take it on day one.

If you have heavy periods it deserves tobe investigated further. Discuss ultrasound with your GP to establish the cause and blood tests to check for anemia, thyroid function, and progesterone and estrogen levels as it can affect period. If the above is done, and no cause established, ask GP for gynae referral.

Heavy period are rather debilitating

Hope you feel better smile

emmathedilemma Sun 05-Jan-20 14:26:09

I've started taking it as my period starts and they're still almost unmanageable for the first couple of days (waiting on gynae appt re. further options next week). I took it 3 times a day for a week last month!

Ash19 Sat 11-Jan-20 18:43:28

Yes I only take it when I know I'll be somewhere. If a cycle falls when I'm at home for first few days of period I don't. I take it when period starts. Not spotting but proper period.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in