Getting worried, what could this be?

(19 Posts)
Mortigua Sun 22-Dec-19 18:00:45

My periods are really too frequent (on average a 15-19 day cycle) and now I’ve been bleeding since 10th December . It’s not very heavy but is painful. I’ve been referred for an ultrasound scan and also blood tests , a smear and internal examination. Anyone else had this and what was it? I feel like this period is never going to end and I feel rubbish with it.

OP’s posts: |
Mortigua Sun 22-Dec-19 19:23:19

Meant to say I’m 40 so potentially menopause related?!

MikeUniformMike Sun 22-Dec-19 19:28:06

Potentially perimenopausal. It is probably is nothing to worry about, but get it checked to make sure.

Mortigua Sun 22-Dec-19 19:56:03

Would peri menopause show in the blood tests do you know ? Im worried but it does seem hormonal more than anything I think and my skin is awful , I’m tired etc!

MikeUniformMike Sun 22-Dec-19 20:02:36

Ask them.
It does sound a bit like that's what it could be. Don't be scared.
They will do the tests.

I know it is easy for me to say, but it might be nothing scary.

PlasticPatty Sun 22-Dec-19 20:03:40

Polyps.

Mortigua Sun 22-Dec-19 20:14:28

Thanks MikeUniformMike. I’m a wuss over these things after bad birth experiences which probably isn’t helping but it probably is something very normal like hormones.
I don’t think I’ve heard of polyps in this area , might google (though I know I probably shouldn’t !)

Mortigua Tue 24-Dec-19 18:48:07

I’ve had the blood tests done now , felt it was best to have them while the symptoms are bad in case it’s hormonal , certainly feels that way, two weeks of bleeding now and still sore boobs , period pains etc! Fingers crossed they find something easy to sort

mumsnoangel Sat 28-Dec-19 17:01:58

How are you now? I am going through something similar. Had a 16 day period and it started up again after sex on day 19. Hope this is just peri menopause and nothing sinister. Waiting to have an ultrasound.

Mortigua Sat 28-Dec-19 19:36:28

I’m ok thanks , bleeding lasted 15 days in the end and I feel I never know when it could return . Blood tests showed low iron or I assume they did as they’ve asked me to get re checked for iron . Ultrasound is booked now for a few weeks time.
Sorry to hear you’ve got similar issues , it’s frustrating waiting. Did you have blood tests done too ?

mumsnoangel Sat 28-Dec-19 20:34:20

No, no blood tests, but my bleeding was not very heavy so I'm not worried about being anaemic. I will tell the doctor I bled after sex, though, as I think I will then get to see a gynaecologist. Just want some reassurance about my cervix and endometrium

Mortigua Sat 28-Dec-19 20:55:40

Yes sounds stressful. My bleeding also started after sex but seemed hormonal as I had PMT (thought it couldn’t be that as had not long finished the last period ) so I think for me it was coincidence. Definitely good to mention it though. The nurse doing the blood tests said it was quite a list of things they were checking , hormone something , thyroid , CRP levels etc. I’m assuming the other stuff was ok as they didn’t call but I was expecting low iron in a way anyway as I feel awful.

Noeuf Sat 28-Dec-19 21:20:20

18 day period - had a nurse ring and suggest menopause. Period after sex (three days after last one finished).
No sympathy or worry from GP surgery, no tests, just suggestions I joined a Facebook menopause group. So I suspect it's 'normal'

(Am 45)

Mortigua Sat 28-Dec-19 21:53:38

Hi Noeuf, yes could well be menopause I guess ! The dr seemed to think it’s too soon for menopause for me but I’m 40 so no spring chicken ! I’m going for an appointment next week as well as the scan so will see what they say , seems like y Gp is being very thorough ! Might be partly how often my periods were as it’s been getting closer together for a few years now and I first saw the dr about it at 36.

Noeuf Sat 28-Dec-19 21:59:24

Well I think it's great they are checking in case there is something else going on but having done a lot of google and chat to medical friends it seem perimenopause and menopause bring a lot of shitty symptoms incl erratic periods. So hopefully (!) it's just that

Mortigua Sat 28-Dec-19 22:15:28

Thanks yes it’s good they are being cautious and no bad thing to get all this checked. If not then it’s just the next stage!

Mortigua Thu 02-Jan-20 19:46:05

Bleeding has started up today again ! Bloods just showed mild anaemia so been back for more iron tests now but assuming that’s just due to all the bleeding . Seems only when I wee so far but got PMT and a bit of achiness etc so seems hormonal enough . I had exactly one week period free. 15 days on a week off is a crap way to be, I wonder how long this one will last.

Mortigua Mon 06-Jan-20 21:30:39

Just bumping this in case anyone can help put my mind at ease while I wait to see the doctor in a couple of days. Last week the doctor couldn’t examine me fully because I was bleeding again and she was quite keen I should be checked and have a smear too ASAP . She prescribed tablets to shut everything down and stop the endless period so that I can get this done this week. It’s worked so I’ve booked in for the internal examination and smear -poss referral to colposcopy clinic. I’m thinking surely though , if this was anything other than hormonal then the tablets wouldn’t stop the bleeding ? So it’s positive it’s stopped ?

MadamePewter Sun 12-Jan-20 09:36:42

@Mortigua how did you get on at doctor?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in