How long did it take you to recover from tubal ligation?

(17 Posts)
Muddytoes1 Fri 29-Nov-19 13:34:26

I mean fully, totally recover so you feel exactly as before? I understand the main recovery should take a week or 2 but how long before I could be back to full exercise with no hint that anything had taken place?

OP’s posts: |
BearHunting Fri 29-Nov-19 21:19:22

Bumping for you, I’m interested to know the answer to this too.

Muddytoes1 Sat 30-Nov-19 19:52:56

Thanks @BearHunting. Maybe I should post somewhere else? I can find a few threads on general recovery but not on complete, back to fitness level.

RandomMess Sat 30-Nov-19 19:55:40

I had womb ablation and my tubes clipped at the same time. 4 weeks tbh.

Undies1990 Sat 30-Nov-19 20:16:33

4 to 5 weeks for me. Quite a surprisingly long time.

RandomMess Sat 30-Nov-19 20:21:46

I have to say it was pretty awful although still worth it!

Muddytoes1 Sun 01-Dec-19 21:03:44

Thanks so much for replies. 4-5 weeks is long but if that was to complete recovery that is ok. @RandomMess what was so awful? Why was it worth it?

RandomMess Sun 01-Dec-19 21:14:24

I really suffered post op and end up staying In for 3 days, got a wound infection.

Still worth it as it sorted out my floods heavy long periods and got my life back.

Had 2 weeks off work, then a week of half days.

Muddytoes1 Sun 01-Dec-19 21:37:50

Sorry you suffered so much. I was under the impression it was usual to be fine to go home the same day, do you think you were quite unlucky? Glad you recovered though and that everything is easier now.

MmeBufo Sun 01-Dec-19 21:44:35

I had a both tubes removed in their entirety, so a wee bit more invasive than litigation. Very similar though. 5-6 weeks to feel totally recovered. It was absolutely worth it. If I had my time again, I’d Not have waited so long (10 years!) to go through with it.

RandomMess Sun 01-Dec-19 21:45:58

Yeah I think unlucky, the anaesthetic made me vomit, when I came around in recovery I was screaming I think it all went into spasm etc.

So it's more don't expect to bounce back after a few days 😂

MmeBufo Sun 01-Dec-19 21:49:00

Crikey RandomMess that sounds awful. Ablation and litigation at the same time is massively more invasive that litigation alone, surely?

RandomMess Sun 01-Dec-19 21:50:30

All the women I know that just had ablation were pretty much fine, not so much the litigation 🤷🏽‍♀️

RandomMess Sun 01-Dec-19 21:51:23

I was supposed to be 6 hour discharge, I was still in recovery at that point!

itsatiggerday Sun 01-Dec-19 21:57:31

I had salpingectomy (fallopian tubes cut out) rather than just ligation. I'd say 2-3 days sore in bed / on the sofa. 1-2 weeks feeling the muscles battered and being a bit careful but noticeable improvement each day. Properly normal after about 4-5 weeks - as in didn't think about it and had to stop and remember how long ago it had been.

Incidentally, I was just going for ligation and some burst cysts to be dealt with. Consultant consenting me asked if I wanted tubes cut out altogether. Upside was no clips left in and they think (although evidence not entirely clear) that up to a quarter of ovarian cancer is actually in the tubes, so removing them reduces that risk. Potential downside was more bleeding but the cysts seemed to be a bigger risk for the operation getting more complicated. He gave it as a decision either way but I went for it. I'd have quite liked the chance to think about it before the day itself so just thought it worth mentioning to you now.

itsatiggerday Sun 01-Dec-19 21:58:17

Oh, and discharge same day although I was first on the list. So 8am in theatre, going home at 5.

ShippingNews Sun 01-Dec-19 22:00:15

Longer than I'd expected - about 4 weeks. I thought I'd bounce back, but I didn't .

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in