Period pain, very heavy, shivery/breathless

(6 Posts)
Studentnursesos12e Fri 04-Oct-19 12:08:58

Despite my title i am unsure of what to do.

My period is always horrendously painful, however this time round it is very heavy too with lots of clots I’m also feeling lethargic dizzy shivery and slightly breathless.

I rang the GP and they can’t fit me in until next Friday.

I think it’s probably nothing but I feel horrendous. Any suggestions?


OP’s posts: |
Mybobowler Fri 04-Oct-19 12:13:19

I'd call 111 if I were you. Might be nothing, but shivers, breathless and dizzy could all be signs of an infection. Better to be on the safe side! Hope you feel better soon flowers

kellyw1989 Fri 04-Oct-19 12:14:17

I’d call 111 hun or go a walk in centre

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 04-Oct-19 15:12:28

You need medical attention asap and I hope you have seen someone medically trained by now. Its awful that the GP practice cannot see you until next Friday and I would speak to the practice manager about this when you are feeling better.

Painful periods are often due to endometriosis being present and you should be seeing a gynaecologist.

Studentnursesos12e Fri 04-Oct-19 23:15:18

I went to the walk in clinic (ANPs). I have a GP appointment on Monday. (The walk in clinic manager rang my Gp and an appointment magically appeared)

I had no temperature, and do feel a bit better.

I’ve been under investigation before for endometriosis. I got as far as a clear ultrasound 7 years ago and being told I was quite lucky and most people get it far worse.

I may pursue it at my family (private) doctors in Ireland, but for now I’m just leaving it.

Thanks everyone xx

OP’s posts: |
AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 05-Oct-19 08:32:05

I would urge you to get this further investigated rather than just leave it. Be insistent about being referred onto a gynae on Monday and do not take no for an answer. Take charge of your own health here because they will not do so.

An ultrasound done all those years ago is absolutely not sufficient; also endometriosis if it is present would NOT be detected by an ultrasound scan.

You have been fobbed off to date and would suggest you see a gynaecologist at a hospital in a city asap. This is outside a GPs remit and you need to see a specialist. Endometriosis can cause all sorts of problem re fertility as well (as well as stomach problems because this can get onto the intestines) and the "mild" form of the disease can and does cause a lot of pain. It can also cause heavy bleeding to arise; I remember that all too well along with the pain. Its also the second most common gynae problem seen in women after fibroids and can be very much under diagnosed.

Do consider keeping a daily pain and symptom diary if you do not already do this; this will give a gynae clues too.

Do read this website too

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in