Is this peri menopause? I'm confused

(8 Posts)
T1gerEye Sat 28-Sep-19 12:07:47

I'll be 48 in a couple of months. I've always had periods that are light ish, last 5 days and arrive bang on time. For the past 35 years, no deviation from this.

About 5 months ago, my periods became heavier with some flooding. At least I think it was flooding - never experienced it before. I went to the doctors and blood tests didn't flag up anything of note re my periods. I had a scan in case it was fibroids or cysts and nothing seen at all.

I was due on on 25 September and true to form, it happened. But very light and brown ish. Come day 2.... nothing. Just stopped. And that's where I am now - no period.

It was just very light flow (not even a flow really) darkbrown discharge (so sorry for tmi)

So what was it? My period? It's all fine now. Do I see a doctor? Wait?

I need to get more clued up on the menopause probably!

Thanks in advance

OP’s posts: |
tribpot Sat 28-Sep-19 12:15:55

I think it could be. I'm 47 and my periods have always been very heavy, the flooding has been getting worse over the last few years. My periods are becoming decidedly erratic, normally varying around 27-29 days, I've now had several cycles of 40-50 days.

I think I would wait and see what happens next month - unfortunately you could be in for a barnstormer to make up for that one.

I've been reading Making Friends with the Menopause - not sure I am feeling that friendly towards it but it's a useful read.

T1gerEye Sat 28-Sep-19 12:19:51

Thanks for that @tribpot - and I'll check that out!

For some reason, I've got it in my head that 47 is a little early. I know the average age is 51 so 47/48 isn't a million miles from that, but it just seems a bit soon. Denial, much? grin

I've also just said to my DH that I should do a pregnancy test to rule that out. He just stared at me in horror.

But in seriousness, I've never experienced this before so it makes you think doesn't it?

RuggyPeg Sat 28-Sep-19 12:34:25

Well it did cross my mind re pregnancy.......

47 is far from too young for perimenopause. Things can start to go a bit haywire for a long time in the run up. Flooding is very common and the name speaks for itself. At its worse, I couldn't leave the house. There was no tampon or pad that could cope! I felt like spending the day in the bath at times!

I too would just wait and see what happens. Perhaps try a supplement, if that's your thing. Sage complex worked miracles with me.

T1gerEye Sat 28-Sep-19 12:57:53

Thanks @RuggyPeg I'll look at that supplement. I already take iron & vitamin D - think it was the heavier periods over the past few months all of a sudden that caused my iron levels to dip a little so trying to get them back up.

I'm going to do a pregnancy test just to put the only very slight niggle out my mind. I'd be amazed though! So it's not something I'm focussed on as I know it's not likely.

tribpot Sat 28-Sep-19 13:21:36

Yep, I'm afraid 47 isn't too young - I've been having symptoms like night sweats for a while as well, what fun.

I'm working with a personal trainer to increase my fitness, or at least my activity levels, and I think that's helping.

My flooding hasn't quite reached @RuggyPeg levels but it is a real problem. Esp as I can't completely predict when it's going to happen (because I don't know if my period is going to show up on time or not) and I do a lot of travelling for work. I've been v lucky several times recently but got caught out on holiday both this year and last year, which is extremely annoying. I booked the holiday around when I expected my period to hit and it was late both times, in one case 19 days late. Gargh.

T1gerEye Sat 28-Sep-19 20:18:28

Poor you @tribpot . I'm lucky at least in that I work from home but I have to say it's been most unexpected these past few months as I've just never had it before. I can't imagine how tough it must be when it happens and you're travelling!

tribpot Sat 28-Sep-19 20:39:59

I work from home when not travelling, so that helps - I've had to change clothes at lunchtime so having this coincide with a travelling day is not the best. I have a fully stocked period bag at all times and a travel towel as well.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in