Something in the vagina after baby

(28 Posts)
Katkatkatie Tue 10-Sep-19 19:45:01

Hi, I got this little problem and was wondering if anyone had something similar happening after having a baby?
Basically I gave birth 5 months ago to my DD naturally with episiotomy. Since then feel sensitive/irritated inside the vagina on the "front wall", it is not where the cut was that feels alright. After 3 months tried to have sex and was painful, same while using tampons on my period. Went to gp she said its normal to be sensitive, looks normal and to give it some time. Its 5 months now and still painful initially when trying to have sex or using tampons. I have to "slide" it on the back wall to not feel discomfort. Went to see different doctor at my gp today and asked for referral to see gynecologist. She said she need to check herself first. So she did and said that I have some sking tags probably from vaginal birth, it is nothing to worry about and there is nothing I can do about it. She said I just have to get used to the pain and discomfort and she wont reffer me.
So I got home and googled of course and its says on nhs site that skin tags are not growing inside the vagina, only on the dry areas. I also don't feel any skin tags when I put my finger down there just a rough surface. Didn't see it myself. Not sure what to do about it. Does anyone had similar experience or idea what that could be? Honestly dont like the idea of just getting used to it😒

OP’s posts: |
QueenEnid Tue 10-Sep-19 19:52:47

I don't have any practical advice but please do not take no for an answer re not being referred.

That is completely unacceptable and just the usual bollocks when it comes to women's health not being taken seriously.

Go back and see your gp and tell them you want referring to Gynaecology. You're not asking for permission. Be assertive and tell them. If they say no, then ask what you need to do to get a referral.

Good luck @Katkatkatie X

Katkatkatie Tue 10-Sep-19 19:57:22

Thank you, I want to go again but I need to be more firm with it I guess not take whatever they say cause they always say its normal for everything at my gp 😕

OP’s posts: |
weasle Tue 10-Sep-19 19:59:32

Is it a bulge of the front wall of the vagina? Could it be a cystocoele? That's where the front walk is weak and the bladder prolapses backwards into it

You definitely should pursue this and ask again for a referral to gynaecology. Would the doctor tell a man who was in too much pain to have sex to put up with it?!

MissRabbitNeedsAHoliday Tue 10-Sep-19 20:01:03

Push for a referral to the gynecologists, ive had similar issues since giving birth 2 years ago. Are you using lube? That can help. Also try to relax before having sex, it might sound silly but the more tense you are the worse it can be. It's a vicious cycle sometimes I think, the more painful it is/the more tense you are/ the sore it is! Good luck.

DobbyTheHouseElk Tue 10-Sep-19 20:02:50

I think it’s the episiotomy. Mine feels like a pleat.

MissRabbitNeedsAHoliday Tue 10-Sep-19 20:06:01

And sorry meant to say mines is scar tissue from my episiotomy, gynaecologists said I might need a small OP to remove it if it doesn't get any better, or they can inject me with someone to relax my muscles down there, don't know which one I think sounds worse if I'm honest 😂

Katkatkatie Tue 10-Sep-19 20:34:12

Missrabbit Im sure its not from the episiotomy as that place feel fine its on the other side.

Weasle yes I can feel the bulge as you described it, I was thinking about bladder prolapse but don't have any symptoms of that?

I will defo go again and try not to be fobbed off.

OP’s posts: |
Lunde Tue 10-Sep-19 20:42:37

Did you have any internal damage or stitches? I had a massive vaginal haematoma (a solid lump of clotted blood that the gynae said was the size of her fist) that had to be drained and stitched and that took a while to settle.

You need to go back or book with a different GP.

Katkatkatie Tue 10-Sep-19 20:49:26

Lunde I didnt had any internal damage just small cut and few stitches but that feels fine. As I started googling from skin tags it moved me to warts which give similar symptoms but I cant see how I could get that, got same partner and its only happening now after having a baby. After every of few times we had sex I felt sensitive and irritated down there for few days 😕

OP’s posts: |
Lunde Tue 10-Sep-19 21:01:38

You definitely need to go back

When she said "skin tags" could she have meant cervical polyps?

Katkatkatie Tue 10-Sep-19 21:08:00

Maybe Im not sure now, I've asked again whats it called when leaving and she said skin tags.

OP’s posts: |
MrsPellegrinoPetrichor Tue 10-Sep-19 21:08:24

The rough are on the front wall of the vagina sounds like your G spot- are you sure it's not that getting sore when you have sex? Do you use lots of lube? If it carries on go back and insist on a referral.

Sallycanwait1 Tue 10-Sep-19 21:11:03

My episiotomy granulated and it was very painful. It felt like the pain was in my bum though - so even though it doesnt feel like your scar it could be.

I had to go back to gp twice. They always fob you off the first time to weed out time wasters. Go back get a gyne referal. Once I got the referal mine was sorted that day.

Good luck.

Greybeardy Tue 10-Sep-19 21:12:00

GP may have been referring to hymenal tags (which iirc can cause pain & can change after birth) - skin tag is not a terrible description for them.

CatherineOfAragonsPrayerBook Tue 10-Sep-19 21:12:55

Would the doctor tell a man who was in too much pain to have sex to put up with it?!

Hell. No. Only women have to put up and shut up about anything vaginal or (anything else) related. Just look at the scandal regarding the vaginal mesh operations and what some of the women had to put up with because doctors couldn't be arsed to take them seriously. I note that male erectile dysfunction receives loads of focus and attention, cue ads on tele, but a women suffering no libido or painful sex, receives a miniscule of attention.

Now that I've had my rant it does sound prolapse related - of course no one can tell you what exactly it is, but you absolutely must go back and insist on a referral. Not least because there may be something going on that would make a second pregnancy problematic in some way. And lastly for your mental health. It just drives me crazy how issues around childbirth are dismissed in this countryangry

Katkatkatie Tue 10-Sep-19 21:15:54

Mrs pellegrino I didn't use any lube yet, just natural moisture. I didnt know of a g spot? When I check myself I can feel a bulge on the front wall with a rough surface. Dont really remember how it was before baby, but its definitely feeling different now to touch.

OP’s posts: |
Katkatkatie Tue 10-Sep-19 21:17:21

Sally thats how I feel, fobbed off. Been twice already but now Im sure to go again and I wont leave without refferal.

OP’s posts: |
Doyoumind Tue 10-Sep-19 21:21:58

I think it's shocking that you are expected to put up with painful sex and uncomfortable periods with no help. Definitely get a second opinion and push for a referral.

MrsPellegrinoPetrichor Tue 10-Sep-19 21:22:31

I would try the obvious first- lube-just so you can rule it out.

Katkatkatie Tue 10-Sep-19 21:25:32

Catharineofaragons Im kind of pissed off now aswell. On my 6 week check up I wasnt checked at all just asked few questions thats it. I'm from abroad and there when a woman is pregnant you go to see gynecologist every month until birth and you're checked properly after, so I was a bit put off when I got pregnant and now worried 😑

OP’s posts: |
Spinnaret Tue 10-Sep-19 21:30:37

This makes me so angry. No man would EVER be told to put up with sex causing him pain. It is even worse that this was a female GP saying it. Go back, see another GP for a second opinion, insist on a referral. Tell them that your DH doesn't want to cause you pain so can't have sex with you (because his needs will be more important as he is a man... hmm).

Katkatkatie Tue 10-Sep-19 21:32:19

Spinnaret thats a good one 🙂

OP’s posts: |
MrsPellegrinoPetrichor Tue 10-Sep-19 21:32:20

I wasn't checked on my 6 week check either and that was years ago,unless there's an issue at the time I don't think it's a thing in the UK.

Katkatkatie Mon 16-Sep-19 07:08:21

Thought will update, went to gp again (thats 3rd time) to different doctor a guy this time as I knew he couldn't check me, I said Im not happy with diagnose and want to see gynecologist. He asked some questions and reffered me. Now I have to wait but it will probably take up to 3 months, waiting for the letter. I might go private aswell but its a bit expensive so see how long it will take first.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in