Having a hysteroscopy under GA

(18 Posts)
Missingmemarbles Tue 13-Aug-19 21:44:03

and I'm petrified, both of the procedure and of what might be causing my symptoms. I struggle with anxiety and depression and am on medication.

Over the past 6 months my periods have been getting longer and heavier, they last up to 11 days. I've also started with mid cycle bleeding too which can last up to a week. I saw a consultant who said I needed a hysteroscopy under GA so biopsies can be taken. I asked for it to be done awake but was told no. I've never had an anaesthetic, I'm so nervous. It's booked for 2 weeks time.

My mum had pre cancerous polyps a while back and had a hysterectomy. I'm petrified I have something serious too.

I've worked myself up so much that I can't think straight, I know I'm being irrational but I just want to cancel the procedure and bury my head in the sand. Any advice? Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
EnlightenedOwl Tue 13-Aug-19 22:17:54

I had mine under GA hysteroscopy d and c and endometrial biopsy all of which confirmed benign endometrial polyp. The anaesthetic was fine and all very straightforward. Try not to worry x

catnidge Wed 14-Aug-19 06:51:57

I'm due to have one too under GAso understand that you feel worried but try to see it as an answer to the period problems you are having.

@EnlightenedOwl, how long was the recovery period?

Groovee Wed 14-Aug-19 06:55:59

I had mine under a GA then had an ablation.

I was fine until they came to take me to theatre. It seemed to hit me at once. The staff were amazing and before long they got me settled and I was in recovery being told it was a huge success. The did discover I had big clots forming which may have been bursting which was possibly the cause of my heavy flooding.

Haven't bled since the procedure and feel so much more confident having had the ablation. No more 9 day periods and life is so much easier as it had become debilitating.

I would have wanted a hysteroscopy with a GA as when they took samples it was really painful.

catnidge Wed 14-Aug-19 07:12:38

@missinmenarbles.
The GA will be fine, I've had a few and you are asleep before you know it.
Is someone going with you? Could you talk to gynae or GP about your worries?
My symptoms have made me anxious, so I'm pleased to be having the op as I know this will help, like your mum I have precancerous polyps.

Missingmemarbles Wed 14-Aug-19 07:25:12

Thank you all. It's reassuring to hear your positive experiences. I don't really have anyone in real life to talk to about this so I just keep running it around in my mind which is making me feel stressed.

EnlightenedOwl Wed 14-Aug-19 07:38:24

In terms of recovery I took a week off work. Couple quiet days then pretty much back to normal.

imip Wed 14-Aug-19 07:43:39

I’m having one under GA next week. I was supposed to have it without last week but freaked out. I’ve had a fair few surgeries under GA, including a hystoscropy 15 years ago, and feel way more relaxed about it under GA. I’ll be having polyps removed, again!

catnidge Wed 14-Aug-19 08:55:10

@EnlightenedOwl, thank you. That really helps with planning.

Missingmemarbles Wed 14-Aug-19 09:14:17

I've got an appointment to see my GP today so at least I can talk it through with someone. Think I need to up my antidepressants temporarily, just to help with this anxiety. I can't believe how irrationally nervous I am, wish I could control it. Posting on here's helped, Thanks.

Hotterthanahotthing Wed 14-Aug-19 23:04:16

I've had hysteroscopies under GA and local.
I was drinking tea as soon as I got back from recovery,on my way home 3 hours after and off for 3 days,this is to recover from the anaesthetic rather than the hysteroscopy which only caused slight cramping.
The theatre staff are very used to nervous patients and will help you through it all.

Missingmemarbles Thu 15-Aug-19 11:40:23

Well I'm officially pathetic. I've cancelled my hysteroscopy. I'm so anxious about it, it's making me ill. I may reschedule once I've sorted myself out. It's all private so I can easily pick it up. Thanks for all your advice and kind words. I wish you all well.

Greyhound22 Thu 15-Aug-19 11:56:22

I had a hysteroscopy a few weeks back - I was offered nothing - just had it done - it wasn't my most favourite day ever but it wasn't too bad and I stopped for lunch on the way back.

I don't fancy having a biopsy done awake though so I can see why they say no.

I've had lots of gynae procedures - awake - under local and GA - GA is by far the most pleasant - honestly you are chatting to people they put a needle in your hand and then you wake up - they will not let you be in pain after. I have had some massive surgeries and honestly this one is quite simple and you will be back to yourself in no time.

You must have this done OP - chances are it's not something sinister - but if it was the longer you leave it the more at risk you are - and possibly the more invasive the procedures you have to have in future are.

PM me if you want to talk but please book it back in.

Ashemark Thu 15-Aug-19 12:12:31

If you are worried about the anaesthetic you can ask to have it without. I had a hysteroscopy and biopsies recently with no anaesthetic or sedation and it was fine. The surgeon talked me through each step of the procedure and showed me what he was looking at on the screen. Each biopsy was painful for a second or two (pinching pain).

Afterwards I felt dizzy for a couple of hours (I was glad I'd asked someone to drive me home) and I had period-type cramps for 24 hours. However, either or both of those effects could have been from the Mirena they inserted at the same time.

I had to have the procedure urgently (within 2 weeks) because of something they'd seen on a scan, but the surgeon told me that 96% of 2 week urgent biopsies turn out to be nothing worrying.

My results were normal.

Best to get it done (with or without anaesthetic) and then that's one less thing to worry about.

Ashemark Thu 15-Aug-19 12:14:09

it wasn't my most favourite day ever but it wasn't too bad
This also describes my experience.

Missingmemarbles Thu 15-Aug-19 12:31:23

I'm so embarrassed by how irrational I'm being but I just can't do it. I can hardly sleep or eat. I'm having a scan on weds, will see what that shows. I'd go ahead with it if it wasn't for the anaesthetic, it's that which is stressing me out. I've asked to have it without but was told no, so I'm stuck.

EnlightenedOwl Thu 15-Aug-19 13:44:44

would it help if I said I am hospital/doctor phobic. I mean really phobic. I can go for a well person check and my blood pressure is always high because I'm so phobic. I didn't or rather wouldn't go for a smear test. Then I started having irregular bleeding so somehow just had to sort it. I had an internal scan and the aforesaid smear test....but when scan showed endometrial polyps I had to get it sorted. Honestly the anaesthetic was easy - just a small scratch to get the cannula in then nothing........it really was stress free. I always say if I can do it anyone can!

EnlightenedOwl Thu 15-Aug-19 13:46:22

by the way part of the reason I had GA was because of anxiety but when it came to it there was a difficulty with the procedure as my cervix was helpfully clamped shut - i did have the procedure done but the consultant said having it done awake wouldn't have been pleasant due to issue with cervix being closed.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in