can fluid retention badly affect my walking?

(2 Posts)
townsie Sun 28-Jul-19 13:00:55

Hi all,

Ive suffered from fluid retention on and off through my life, had it very very bad with both pregnancies. Am now going through menopause and the last few years it has flared up only during summer. Although it's annoying I've always been able to deal with it, however I've had some slightly weird symptoms lately and just wondered if anyone else has experienced the same thing?

The only way I can describe it is that I feel like I can no longer walk like I used to. It's not that I'm in pain, my legs just don't feel as if they work properly. I have to walk very slowly, and always be supported by either a walking stick or holding the arm of someone else. I also feel like I can't really feel the ground under my feet sometimes which makes me feel like I'm going to fall over.

i have been to the doctor, and have been told that considering I don't 'look' swollen (according to him) and that these aren't normal symptoms it cannot be down to fluid retention, and he has referred me to see a neurologist instead. But while I wait for the appointment I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this??

Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated smile

OP’s posts: |
TildaKauskumholm Sun 28-Jul-19 13:11:06

I'm no doctor but have swelling (=fluid retention) following knee surgery and it certainly prevents the leg from moving as it should. The advice is to ice and elevate often, and wear compression stockings for some weeks. I would ask your GP if any of this would help, while waiting for your appointment.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in