Considering prolapse surgery

(7 Posts)
4peony3 Tue 11-Jun-19 13:04:36

Hi there, I'd appreciate any helpful advice you have please.

I've been dealing with prolapse for 16 years since my second (and last) child was born. Faecal incontinence main issue then and now. Though now I also have quite large rectocele causing obstructive demarcation and a small cystocele. Managed with pelvic floor physio and exercises for a long time but now at 54 I am reaching the point where the symptoms are getting me down to the point where I have to seriously think about surgery.

I have been told that vaginal repair will get rid of the uncomfortable bulges but might not sort the faecal incontinence which is really disappointing. Any comments on that would be really helpful!
There don't seem to be any other solutions for this.

Ive also heard that these repairs don't last!

Pessaries won't work for me I have been told by drs as they don't address rectocele, are no good for sex and have to be removed by the dr. Or at least that's for what's available in my area - West Mids.

I've seen both colorectal and Urogynaecology consultants over the years. I'm a very active person with a good sex life despite all this. I gave up high impact exercise many years ago and try not to lift heavy weights. Psychologically and emotionally I am at the end of my tether!

Probably have nothing to lose from surgery. Except if something goes wrong - scary thought. Should I go for it?

OP’s posts: |
OvertheInfluence Tue 11-Jun-19 15:15:07

I have no words of advice but I'm watching this as I have the same question myself. Is the surgery worth it and what's the worst that could happen????

4peony3 Tue 11-Jun-19 16:00:24

👍 let's hope for some positive responses

alidew Tue 11-Jun-19 16:49:23

See my reply to your q on the similar thread. I'd recommend going ahead. I honestly would say it was the best thing for me, however the aftercare I set up for myself (NHS provided nada) with women's health physio and carefully planned diet and exercise, I think also made all the difference. If surgery has been recommended to you, then you have to go ahead and trust your gynae. They will stitch you in the best way possible for you x

4peony3 Tue 11-Jun-19 18:02:19

Thank you Alidew, nice to have a positive reply and yes trusting the experts is the thing I guess I'm just used to being in control of things and this I am definitely not!

Hecateh Tue 11-Jun-19 18:38:05

I had a cystocele repair. I was told it wasn't bed but it was causing me discomfort and i opted for surgery as my feeling was that surgery would be needed at some stage and it would be better done when I was still relatively young (60 so not that young)

I had read about the issues when using mesh and discussed this - my surgeon wasn't a fan and didn't use it, so no problem there.

It made a huge difference to my comfort and I have never regretted it. I think there may be a very slight cystocele still but it doesn't cause any issues.

No experience rectally though

4peony3 Tue 11-Jun-19 19:37:34

Hi Hecateh
Thanks for that, I think I feel the same -going to have to have it done so maybe best to just get it over with.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in