Mirena replacement

(3 Posts)
Vdp071 Sat 05-Jan-19 02:32:04

I have a Jaydess and I am getting a mirena inserted in a couple weeks. My GP referred me to a gynaecologist for the procedure. I did not ask my gp any questions because I assumed I would be talking to the gyno beforehand but they just made me an appointment for the removal and reinsertion that day. I’m just wondering if anybody has any experience with this and what to expect. Will I have cramping and/or bleeding for a while(days)after? Can I go to work that day? How soon can I or will I want to have sex?

OP’s posts: |
SpoonBlender Sat 05-Jan-19 02:46:34

First thing I'd say is to ask them to insert it without using the fucking pliers to grab your cervix with. They're the cause of 90% of the pain, in my experience.

Cramping - shouldn't have any past a day or so.
Bleeding - same.
Working - if you can cope with period pain at work, but if you've got a spare holiday day take it, it's a good excuse.
Fucking - whenever you fancy it. However! "The IUD is effective immediately if you get it inserted within 7 days of the start of your period. Otherwise it takes a little longer to become effective, so you should use a back-up method, such as condoms or internal condoms, for 7 days after insertion."

Vdp071 Fri 08-Feb-19 22:55:20

I just thought I'd follow up if anyone has the same thing. The gyno said "nothing in the vagina for a week". Insertion was virtually painless and no real pain or excessive bleeding afterwards either. I have had spotting off and on for a week so far. Hopefully that stops soon.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in