Mirena coil - ok to ski a month after?

(16 Posts)
Redandblue11 Tue 06-Nov-18 14:57:29

Hi, I am being put the Mirena coil in Jan ... first time , I have a D.C., over 40 myself.
How do you feel afterwards for the first two/three months?
I appreciate might be a middle class problem but I am going skiing in mid Feb ... will I feel rotten? I am a bit worried that I will be in pain etc , since is not a cheap holiday I would not want to ruin it if I can avoid it...
Or is it manageable pain.
Any tips greatly appreciated

OP’s posts: |
siakcaci Tue 06-Nov-18 14:59:49

You shouldn’t be in pain at all. Some minor cramping after it’s been put in but that’s all.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Tue 06-Nov-18 15:03:28

I'm on my third Mirena. I've only ever had a couple of hours of discomfort (very like period pains) after insertion. My gynae nurse has always advised to return if discomfort persists for a week. I think you'll be absolutely fine to go on your holiday

TheFirstOHN Tue 06-Nov-18 15:05:02

I was in pain for a couple of minutes, felt dizzy / sick for half an hour, then discomfort (like period pain) for 3-4 hours.

ItsJustTheOneSwanActually Tue 06-Nov-18 15:05:08

i'm on my second, no kids, and beyond a couple of hours mild cramps post insertion I've always been fine.

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Tue 06-Nov-18 15:11:05

I’ve had a mirena for about 18 months now. I was very crampy for the first day, and after that I had a few days of period pain type pains, but it was totally manageable with painkillers. A month later I would have been fine to go skiing. Actually if you’re still in pain a month after you have it put in then I would suggest going back and having it checked!

Redandblue11 Tue 06-Nov-18 15:44:05

Thank you all 😀

Redandblue11 Tue 06-Nov-18 15:46:18

Have your periods stopped after the coil? If so when?
Hoping mine get lighter or better stop completely!

Over50andfab Tue 06-Nov-18 15:59:36

Left work in the middle of the day, had Mirena put in, went back to work. A bit of a non event really with no after effects whatsoever. Ok, a bit uncomfortable when it was installed, and I did take ibuprofen an hour before “just in case”. That was it really.

Over50andfab Tue 06-Nov-18 16:00:51

Periods stopped totally, used to be horrendous - my GP did say I wouldn’t know when I’d gone through menopause.

sanitygirl Tue 06-Nov-18 16:01:57

I was completely fine almost straight away. Had it done 2.5 years ago and no periods since (45, 2 kids).

LIZS Tue 06-Nov-18 16:02:44

Would never have occurred to me, you will be fine.

bringbackthestripes Tue 06-Nov-18 16:17:46

Fitting was fine. Having it place was not. I bled continuously for 9 months EVERY DAY and put on loads of weight.

LazyDoll Tue 06-Nov-18 19:09:26

On 2nd coil. Found with both dull abdominal pains for the day following fitting. Then all fine. No periods since! Bonus!

Yogagirl123 Tue 06-Nov-18 19:14:23

I am on my second Mirena, so I am sure you will be fine. If I am honest I did find the insertion painful. I was having very heavy periods and the Mirena cured that, I rarely have a period and if I do the blood loss is minimal. Good luck OP and have a lovely skiing holiday.

MonaChopsis Tue 06-Nov-18 19:15:55

I had 2-3 weeks of very mild cramps straight after insertion, nothing like as bad as a period, but quite persistent. They have now gone totally.

I have a day or so very mild spotting (so little I often just wear old kickers and don't even bother with a panty liner) every 2-3 months. Loooooove mine, would get it again in a heartbeat.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in