Am I likely to have an emotional reaction to having my ovaries removed?

(7 Posts)
KatyMac Sun 30-Sep-18 21:27:54

Or should I put any upset firmly on a reaction to the anesthetic?

TBH atm I can't wait for them to go (at least my left one!) as I am having a fair amount of pain....Ok a lot actually!

& I don't do well with anesthetics really anyway

I'm stressing a bit

OP’s posts: |
QueenoftheNights Mon 01-Oct-18 13:03:09

So you are going ahead? THis topic has been going on a while smile

I don't see how anyone can be definitive with this question. Are YOU feeling emotional about it? That's the question.

You will have menopause symptoms which will / can include emotions unless you are going straight onto HRT.

KatyMac Tue 02-Oct-18 19:18:00

Feels like it's gone on all year now - I'm in a lot of pain now and they aren't really sure why, although they have admitted it's grown

I thought I'd be ok when I had the ectopic (as I have already grieved for the loss of that baby) but it left me in pieces amd I was wondering if this might do the same - even tho my ovaries haven't been used in a while!

ScreamingValenta Tue 02-Oct-18 19:21:49

I didn't have an emotional reaction when mine were removed, and I don't miss them.

KatyMac Tue 02-Oct-18 19:36:10

lovely I'll prepare for 'relief' then!!

Can't wait to get rid of this cyst!!

JellySlice Tue 02-Oct-18 19:39:54

I don't know specifically re ovariectomy, but your description of how you felt after your ectopic surgery, and not reacting well to anaesthetics in general, does suggest that you may feel emotional again.

My dm and I both recover poorly from GAs. In the week or so after one we both are a little doolally. We swing from stupidly happy to tearfully fragile. Very emotional. Knowing that it's the after-effects helps.

Are you already post-menopausal? If not, will you be taking HRT? IME the mood-swings and emotionality of menopause are an entirely different experience to post-GA. utterly utterly grim. I would not be without HRT!

Hope the surgery goes well.

KatyMac Tue 02-Oct-18 19:56:34

That does sound like me (with terrible pain in my muscles, pain on breathing and from air in my abdomen)

I agree being prepared is good

I'm peri I think? hot flushes, random periods, vile temper/grumpyness and a lovely crop of black hairs on my chin!!

the hospital are being a pain about HRT - they will sort it out after the op - it's too soon to worry about it now (which I don't agree with)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in