Post-childbirth ‘down there’

(19 Posts)
mumofone234 Wed 29-Aug-18 20:42:52

Very embarrassing question, but I’m reluctant to ask my GP incase I’m just being dim. This thread is definitely going to feel like TMI - apologies in advance!

Since having a baby about 18 months ago I’ve noticed that when I go for a poo I can feel the bulge of it protruding into my vagina (near the entrance to it). The wall is definitely intact so it’s not a hole or anything but if I place a finger at the entrance I can feel the hard lump of what’s about to be passed (sorry!) through the wall. Is this something that’s normal and I just didn’t notice pre-baby, or is it wrong? My gut is that it’s a post-baby thing.

OP’s posts: |
Sarahandduck18 Wed 29-Aug-18 20:46:41

It’s a post baby thing.

Nuffaluff Wed 29-Aug-18 20:50:15

It’s called prolapse. If you google it you’ll see helpful websites. Then you should see your gp and don’t be fobbed off either. It can be treated.

SnuggyBuggy Wed 29-Aug-18 20:51:13

My mum had a rectocele, it was caused by my forceps delivery and became more symptomatic at menopause, she had similar symptoms. I would see your GP as there are options.

AniseedBall Wed 29-Aug-18 20:51:45

It sounds very much like a rectocele, a prolapse of the back wall of the vagina. They can be caused by pregnancy and or childbirth. If you make an appointment to see your GP they'll be able to tell you.

itbemay Wed 29-Aug-18 21:01:28

As per PP is a rectocele - see your GP and get it sorted Hun flowers

mumofone234 Wed 29-Aug-18 21:03:05

Ah, thanks all. It’s not causing me much bother so I’ve been reluctant to investigate it further (also because it’s embrassing!) but I know I ought to go and get it sorted.

OP’s posts: |
SnuggyBuggy Wed 29-Aug-18 21:04:54

Assuming you are pre menopausal I get the impression you can do more to help now. Apparently it's kept in check by the body's estrogen so can become more of a problem after menopause.

mumofone234 Wed 29-Aug-18 21:06:08

Yes I’m in my early 30s so probably worth getting it looked into (so to speak!) now.

OP’s posts: |
AniseedBall Wed 29-Aug-18 21:08:20

A Women's Physio should really be able to help, with exercises to improve it and prevent it worsening. Your GP should refer you.

timeisnotaline Wed 29-Aug-18 21:09:02

As others said, it’s a rectocele. I think it’s fairly important you put some effort into learning how to correctly do pelvic floor and core muscle exercises to maintain core strength and prevent it getting worse.

mumofone234 Wed 29-Aug-18 21:11:02

Hmm, yes, I must admit that I haven’t done much in the way of pelvic floor exercise!

OP’s posts: |
lionsgate18 Wed 29-Aug-18 21:15:32


I have exactly the same thing. I didn't worry too much about it, but when I had a smear test the nurse said I really should get it looked at. I booked an appointment with a female GP at my practice. She didn't examine me and was rather snippy and said "well do you want an operation?". I said no and then that was the end of the consultation 😳😏.

I maybe should make an appointment to see another GP. I didn't know it could get worse with menopause. I'm coming up to 45 and starting to feel quite hot and sweaty! So suspect peri is here x

mumofone234 Wed 29-Aug-18 21:17:06

Oh that’s awful lionsgate18 - yes, I definitely think you should ask to see another GP!

OP’s posts: |
SnuggyBuggy Wed 29-Aug-18 21:17:59

Lion you should have been referred to gynae, there is a pessary ring thing they can try first.

AniseedBall Wed 29-Aug-18 21:22:39

That's dreadful lionsgate18. She should have referred you to a Women's Physio at the very least. I'd get a second opinion. The correct advice and help can prevent things getting worse.

ScottishDiblet Thu 30-Aug-18 09:45:51

Hi. Just to say 100% don’t be worried or embarrassed about seeing the doctor about this. I had multiple complications post birth and honestly doctors have seen it all. Particularly the gynaecologists. Go and see your GP to get the ball rolling in this. It’s not right to leave it.

mumofone234 Thu 30-Aug-18 12:10:14

Thanks ScottishDiblet - I know there’s a nice female doctor at my practice so might ask to see her specifically and just get it over with!

OP’s posts: |
toxitears181 Sat 08-Sep-18 15:29:08

I think I am going through the same thinf op did you get checked out and what did they say / offer you x xx

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in