Talk

Advanced search

Post coital bleeding, could this be connected with perimenopause?

(7 Posts)
IzzieD68 Sat 11-Aug-18 15:19:07

Hi,

I am new to posting on here but I am very worried.

I am 50 and have experienced post coital bleeding, a day after making love with my husband. It is now day 3 and I am still experiencing light bleeding, day 18 of my cycle.

I am up to date with my smears, last one was 2 years ago. I am worrying that this could be cervical cancer though. Can you still be at risk with up to date smears? Also, can you have HPV ( a risk factor for cervical cancer) if me and my husband have only had a sexual relationship with each other?
Or could post coital bleeding be linked to a decrease in oestrogen due to my age?
I am very anxious and find going to the Doctor even for 'routine' appointments extremely difficult.

Can anyone advise me please who has experienced this?
Many thanks

Seniorschoolmum Sat 11-Aug-18 15:27:06

On hpv, it is a virus that can lie dormant for a long time or cause no symptoms at all. A high proportion of women in the UK carry it without any problems. So unless you and your dh have been each other’s only sexual partners ever, it’s possible to have picked it up a long time ago.
But If your smears are up to date, you should be fine.
I’m 55 so a bit ahead of you and haven’t had any bleeding like that, so I’d go to the GP and ask.

MrsEricBana Sat 11-Aug-18 15:28:42

Hi,
Sorry to hear you are worried. Yes you are at risk between smears. Apparently hpv can only be transmitted by sexual activity, not just by kissing etc. If you don't have hpv your risk of cervical cancer is much lower but still not zero. Best thing to do is go to GP so anything needing treating can be caught early but may just be hormonal etc as you say. Don't worry but do get checked. Good luck.

snowone Sat 11-Aug-18 16:17:14

Hi OP - I would advise a visit to your GP. Of bleeding is not normal for you then you need to have it checked out.

IzzieD68 Sat 11-Aug-18 17:19:18

Thank you for your messages. I am in a dreadful state with anxiety. Senior school Mum, we have only had each other as a partner, been together since we were 17. I am trying to reassure myself, but on this basis is it correct to assume, neither of us has HPV? Or is this a misguided assumption?

I will make an aPpointment to get checked out. Not easy, and I find the waiting makes my anxiety worse.
Thanks for your replies.

user1471550643 Sat 11-Aug-18 17:42:25

Hi I agree you need to get yourself checked by the gp to see what’s going on. I have had the same and am the same age as you. Mine turned out to be a cervical polyp which was harmless and removed by the dr, Best wishes

IzzieD68 Mon 13-Aug-18 10:31:06

Hi kind ladies,

Just a quick update. I couldn't get an appointment with my own GP or any lady GP despite queuing for one from 7.30am this morning.

I did get one with the Nurse practioner, not my first choice but my anxiety so bad, thought this was the next best option.

She has examined me and said cervix looked pink and healthy. She took swabs and I am to have a blood test to check hormone levels. She wasn't concerned and said with a regular screening history, very unlikely to be anything serious.
I did ask about uterine and ovarian cancer risk, but she said unlikely and that best to rule out common things first.
I have accepted this but am still anxious, but at least it's a start having had a physical exam.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: