Has anyone had a hysterectomy for severe PMS?

(8 Posts)
hippospot Fri 03-Aug-18 14:44:34

Having tried everything under the sun over the years, at the age of 43 I am now following the Studd clinic regime of Oestrogen gel, testosterone and 7 days Utrogestan. I generally feel better than I did (things are predictable, at least) but I still have PMS for 10 days a month, severe enough to affect my marriage, parenting, confidence and energy. I'm talking severe depression and anxiety.

I tried the Mirena recently - it was like permanent low-grade PMS.

So I have gone back to 7 days Utrogestan. I'm clearly progesterone intolerant. But apparently I am risking increased chance of uterine cancer if I don't bleed, and to do that I need the progesterone.

I was told that if the Mirena didn't work out I should consider a hysterectomy. This seems drastic and I am pretty scared of such big and irreversible surgery. Even my DH says we can just grit out teeth till the menopause. Poor man - I am absolutely hideous to live with for one third of the month.

For what it's worth my diet, exercise etc is really good and I hardly drink any alcohol.

Anyone else been in this situation?

OP’s posts: |
QueenoftheNights Fri 03-Aug-18 21:12:02

why don't you just stick with the 10 days of Utrogestan? Is that still unbearable? Or long cycle of 10 days every 2 months- that's another option. or...I thought Studd suggested a high estrogen dose to override ovulation? Or have you tried the CCP?

You would need a total hysterectomy. Ovaries and womb. I suggest you post on the Menopause Matters (website)forum as there are women on there who have experience of this and Studd's regime.

QueenoftheNights Fri 03-Aug-18 21:12:21

sorry I meant the 7 days of Utro you are on.

WhatAmISupposedToBeDoing Fri 03-Aug-18 21:15:09

My mother did.

I cannot comment for the side effects on her health but it saved us as a family. We were at the stage where we couldn't grit our teeth and ride it out, she was truly horrible for a large part of the time. Best thing ever.

Good luck whatever you choose OP flowers

pennycarbonara Fri 03-Aug-18 21:31:03

I know someone who did. Don't know the full side effects she had but she was really glad to have had it done; she said she had had an utterly awful time with PMS and heavy periods, and attributed the end of her first marriage to the PMS. She also said she was much calmer at work after having it done. I didn't know her before the op, and it was really surprising to hear she used to be this way, this practical person who never seemed more emotional than average.

negunslean Fri 03-Aug-18 21:37:38

I followed studd advice of having hysterectomy. Worse bloody thing I ever did. Really do not take this lightly. I had severe pms (once tried to knife husband) and endometriosis. Studd recommended a hysterectomy. I felt so Ill after I lost a couple of years of my life. Really get a 2nd opinion x

hippospot Sat 04-Aug-18 08:30:34

Negunslean I am so sorry to hear about your bad experience. I definitely consider a hysterectomy to be an absolute last option.

Next time I go to the clinic I will ask if I can just take the Utrogestan every second month. Ten days of PMS every single month is a lot. Puts a severe strain on my family.

FYI I take 4 pumps of oestrogen gel a day. I feel great on that and the testosterone (no side effects). It's just the damned progesterone that makes me feel terrible.

OP’s posts: |
Prianka Thu 11-Mar-21 12:19:12

Has anyone found relief going through NAPS (National Accosiation Pre Menstrual Syndrome or Mind?.. Would like to hear of your experiences..

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in