Talk

Advanced search

Going back more assertive!

(2 Posts)
WishIwasinStarsHollow Wed 01-Nov-17 14:49:41

I'm going back to work in a few weeks (public sector management) and DD (1 year) will be going to nursery. I'm going back part time to the same role but I'll be managing a different team which is larger than the one I managed full time before I went on maternity leave. That might sound strange as I'll have more responsibility but less hours but in fact a lot of 'non-management' tasks have been removed from my role so it should be manageable. What I need help with is this: before I went on mat leave the team I was responsible for I feel kind of walked all over me. I got this promotion because I'm a hard worker, was doing well at the lower level role, good at making processes more efficient, natural leader and good at building relationships with others. My problem is that I hate confrontation and I am a massive people pleaser so when there's a (personnel) problem I'm not great at tackling it head on which I need to be! I really want to go back and start fresh with this new team and be confident and assertive and not be taken advantage of without losing the good qualities that I have....any advice?! Thank you!

Ritualunion Thu 30-Nov-17 11:41:23

Hi, congrats on the promotion! I’m due to go back to work soon too and I’m a bit like you’ve described, a people pleaser and I’m seen as a bit of a soft touch at times. A lot has changed in work since I’ve been on mat leave, lots of new faces, plus I’ve changed too. I see this as a perfect opportunity to go back with a clean slate - use my new found ‘mum strength’ as my DH puts it! In the run up to returning to work I’m going to treat myself to some new clothes, haircut, and return with confidence!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now