Talk

Advanced search

How did you make 3 kids and working work for you?

(4 Posts)
fionnthedog Tue 10-Oct-17 22:06:13

I know there's other threads on this but wanted some inspirational stories of how you've managed to get back to work after DC3.

But of background. We currently have two DCs aged 2 and 4. DH works full time (earns more me!) and I work three days a week. My childcare is a hodge podge of pre school, childminder and parents in law to keep cost down as my salary is ok but not mind blowing!!

I'm keen to try for DC3 but a friend made a throwaway comment along the lines of "I don't know anyone whose managed to get back to work after DC3" which I know is probably utter garbage but I can't get it out of my head.

How have people made it work with three? inspire me!! I work mostly for my mental health / sanity so would really be loathe to give it up - but trying to work out if that means no more kids (which also makes me a bit sad!!)

Thirtyrock39 Tue 10-Oct-17 22:08:11

Easier financially if you can find a school hours working pattern but the flip side of that is you have no time to yourself as you're either at work or with the kids
Wait till the youngest gets nursery funding

CannotEvenThink Tue 10-Oct-17 22:20:44

Dc3 was 1 when I went full time including some very long hours. Started off with childminder who had baby full time, dc2 did their 15hrs at nursery then was picked up by childminder and dc1 was at school and went to same childminder for wrap around.
She stopped minding and no other ones with spaces so we then got a live out nanny which financially made sense for 3 of them when not all at school.
All at school now so they all do wrap around with a different childminder.

You just make it work really. In between childminder and recruiting nanny we had a random selection of childcare and it does get crazy when doing multiple drop off and pick up but realistically it is only for a short time and before long they are all in school and life gets a bit easier.

I'm only part time these days which helps too!

CannotEvenThink Tue 10-Oct-17 22:20:46

Dc3 was 1 when I went full time including some very long hours. Started off with childminder who had baby full time, dc2 did their 15hrs at nursery then was picked up by childminder and dc1 was at school and went to same childminder for wrap around.
She stopped minding and no other ones with spaces so we then got a live out nanny which financially made sense for 3 of them when not all at school.
All at school now so they all do wrap around with a different childminder.

You just make it work really. In between childminder and recruiting nanny we had a random selection of childcare and it does get crazy when doing multiple drop off and pick up but realistically it is only for a short time and before long they are all in school and life gets a bit easier.

I'm only part time these days which helps too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now