Talk

Advanced search

Both parents commuting - how has it worked for you?

(11 Posts)
LadyEastEnd Sun 28-May-17 14:29:05

We are planning the move to Essex in the next 12 months. However as we are both starting new jobs in central London in the next month or so it is possible that we will not want to change again when we move. We had planned to have at least one of us working in the new town but we are not sure if it will be possible now due to a considerable salary drop for me and lack of availability of opportunities for my DH being the main considerations. We have two school age children and one toddler so they will be in after-school childcare and nursery/childminder. We will both probably work full time also. The commute into central London is 30 minutes, so not too bad and we will work within 15 minutes walk of the station. My main concern is the reliability of trains and what to do if there is a problem on the line that stops us getting to DCs. I am also concerned about what to do if there is an emergency where we need to get to DCs quickly. Currently I work within twenty minutes door to door from home and DC's school.

Butterymuffin Sun 28-May-17 14:35:01

Do you have family or friends in Essex who'd be able to get them in an emergency?

LadyEastEnd Sun 28-May-17 16:22:59

No unfortunately we will not be living close enough to family that could help.

jelliebelly Sun 28-May-17 16:29:47

Reliability of public transport will be your biggest issue - dh and I did it for a bit but far too stressful in the end

LadyEastEnd Sun 28-May-17 22:22:08

Yes that what I assumed jelliebelly. I guess I will be best placed to find a job in the new area - I just have to hope for a promotion to make up the difference in money.

Firenight Tue 06-Jun-17 07:25:52

We have one of us in London and one a half hour drive away from school/nursery. I wouldn't want both of us reliant on the same train line unless you have a reliable back up (friend/family) locally?

Kittykat1969 Tue 06-Jun-17 11:15:52

This will be a nightmare and cause a lot of stress. What might help though is trying to get flexi hours, maybe start a bit earlier so you can leave by 4. I find train issues mainly seem to happen after 5pm

londonfever Tue 11-Jul-17 13:40:42

When you move, will you have space for an Au Pair? The Au Pair could take the children to school in the morning/drop off baby and then in the evening can look after the school age children removing the need for after school club. If the nursery/childminder is walking distance to your house they can also pick up the little one. This removes a lot of the stress and time management needed...

Oooooohyes Tue 11-Jul-17 13:49:07

We're in the same position even down to living in essex!

We have an obvious closest station but there are two other lines to two different stations within about a mile if where we live so easy for emergencies. That is three different lines that have to be down before we start to worry. Also, in an absolute emergency in the middle if the working day, a cab can get to many parts if essex from central London very quickly. I know it would be expensive but if we're talking one off emergencies, would be doable. Where will you be based?

badg3r Tue 11-Jul-17 13:53:49

If the overground is on strike can you tube it home? Agree with pp, you need plan B to Z in place to minimise stress if it dies happen. Speak to the nursery too, maybe some if the key workers would be happy to help bring kids home in an emergency. My commute is 35 mins, DH is 50. But the main difference is that I go by bike so the actual distance bus not so great and there are plenty of alternatives.

badg3r Tue 11-Jul-17 13:54:13

*does happen, obviously!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now