Talk

Advanced search

What I like about/ my life as a

(14 Posts)
gillybeanz Sat 27-May-17 20:13:41

Like the other thread, for peace and understanding maybe sahp can understand more.

gillybeanz Sat 27-May-17 20:14:35

I like only having to work p/t 20 hours per week, with zero responsibility.
I have no work costs although it's only min wage.

Eolian Sat 27-May-17 20:16:38

I like being a cover supervisor (after many years of being a proper teacher) because I waltz in and waltz out and have no further responsibility, preparation or marking!

gillybeanz Sat 27-May-17 20:18:45

That sounds great Eolian
The best of both worlds.
Do you get lots of problems though, with behaviour or is this a myth?

ImperialBlether Sat 27-May-17 20:20:31

When I worked and my children were young, I loved the adultness of the conversations. And not being interrupted. And not having to clean all the bloody time.

SybilsLeaves Sat 27-May-17 20:31:41

I love the feeling of achievement I get when I complete a great piece of work or deliver something really useful for a client. It's a totally different feeling of fulfilment than I get from spending time with my child, and much less emotionally charged / much more straightforward.

gillybeanz Sat 27-May-17 20:33:19

I am finding that I like the company for a few hours at night, which has surprised me as I haven't craved company in all the years as a sahm.
I could either take it or leave it.

Dh agreed about me being a sahm obviously, but he has noticed that he no longer has to do some of the jobs he'd rather not do. He hadn't even considered this before.

ijustwannadance Sat 27-May-17 20:42:41

I personally found being a SAHM to a small child incredibly dull and going back to work saved my sanity.

gillybeanz Sat 27-May-17 20:44:07

sybils

I'd like to ask a question if I may?

It sounds like you have a career, rather than a job.
Were you brought up to believe that women should have a career. I don't just mean paying your way for economic gain, but for fulfillment?

We were told at school that we could have a career if we wanted to, but weren't really encouraged.

gillybeanz Sat 27-May-17 21:30:09

newt wrong with that ijustwannadance
Not everyone likes being at home with dc, all the time.

museumum Sat 27-May-17 21:35:02

Balance.
I have no commute and flexi hours and a weekday with ds most weeks. But I still love my work and as I only have one child and a very involved dh I just don't think it would be healthy for me to sahp so if o wasn't working in my career I love I'd be searching for voluntary roles and bigger hobbies than I have to fill my time.

SybilsLeaves Sat 27-May-17 23:01:58

gilly yes, I do and yes, I was - very fortunate to have gone to an all girls' school and be taught by straight-talking Yorkshire women, who encouraged us all to make our own way and be beholden to no man. It's a life lesson I fully intend to teach my DC as well!

gillybeanz Sat 27-May-17 23:56:45

sybil
I know this sounds like a contradiction after being a sahm for so long, but this is what I am teaching my dd.
i have told her about how things are different now and why I gave up my career, but in fact I could have continued with a nanny for childcare, but decided against it.
I think it's the right thing to teach a girl.
Yes, straight talking Yorkshire women, I've met a few, not to be trifled with grin

FartnissEverbeans Fri 16-Jun-17 19:47:14

I'm an English teacher and I love using my brain again. I love sitting for an hour and a half discussing The Great Gatsby with my A-level class. I love doing research and planning resources. I missed all those things when I was on maternity leave.

I love my job generally, although I'm not a massive fan of my current workplace!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now