Talk

Advanced search

Pressure, pressure

(3 Posts)
buddy79 Tue 25-Apr-17 23:20:06

Wwyd? I currently work 28 hrs / week over 4 days, DH works full time. We have a 2 1/2 yr old. I love my job, it's local, boss v supportive around childcare etc, but poorly paid - I take home about £300 after childcare costs. But I enjoy it, like my team, and like the balance of 4 days and 1 whole day a week just with DS.
We have decided we would like to have a second child. If we scrimp and save, use childcare vouchers etc, we can, just about, afford it as we are. But DH does, quite fairly, feel that he is burdened with being the breadwinner and I am overqualified for my current role (made a choice to step to a lower role 4 yrs ago due to stress). I have seen some jobs that appeal to me and I might have a chance of getting, with improved salaries, but they are all full time, and I worry about the stress of starting a new job and then trying for a second baby. I lack confidence at work and feel very lucky that I feel comfortable in my current job. I feel guilty about DH supporting me. He would be happy to remain with one child and be financially more comfortable, it's me who has pushed for a second. Stressing about it all!! Any similar experiences? Thanks

WutheringTights Fri 08-Sep-17 14:59:58

Go for the jobs and negotiate on hours if you get offered one. If you're the right candidate they'll listen, you'll just need a business case, e.g. you do an 80% week and delegate some of the tasks to more junior (and therefore cheaper) staff who then get the benefit of essentially being trained up to do more. You can always turn the job down if it's not right for you. You've nothing to lose by applying. Go for it!

Pascall Fri 08-Sep-17 15:08:10

Don't give up a boss who is supportive around childcare. They're like gold dust, and with 2 kids you'll have double the colds, ear infections, chickenpox, sports days etc.

Any chance you can ask for a promotion / pay rise? Can you increase your hours and dh drop his?

Also, consider changing your hours, if you can, for when dc1 starts school. I negotiated a school hours contract (no change in total annual hours) which meant I didn't have to pay for before/after/holiday school clubs. DC2 went to a childminder for school hours only so I didn't have to pay full days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now