Talk

Advanced search

Sometimes I wonder if there is any point in my trying to have a job at all?

(3 Posts)
nigelforgotthepassword Tue 25-Apr-17 12:01:26

For the second time in two weeks I am off work with a sick child.I have to leave early regularly due to child commitments-last minute school stuff/child care issues etc etc.
I've just started a new job and I already feel like I've set myself up to fail.
I've no family support nearby and the girls dad (separated) is 90% of the time unable to help as he is busy at work or has meetings planned or whatever.
I just wonder if I'm ever going to be able to do any job properly before they are bloody 18!
This is a bit of a rant but I'm so disheartened by it all today...
How does anyone, single parents especially, manage this successfully?

DD0314 Thu 29-Jun-17 23:58:31

I have the exact same issue! I honestly would try and not stress about it too much. You have no choice but to go to your kids when you need to. As long as you work hard and "show your worth" I think employers have to accept that it's part of life. I had to leave work on my second day because sons nursery called to say he'd been sick. My boss makes it clear that he's not impressed when I've taken time off for the kids but at that point the only thing I care about is if said child is ok so whatever! Some things can't be changed, don't waste your time feeling shit about it x

BackforGood Fri 30-Jun-17 00:01:31

Being off with a sick child is one thing - can't be helped - but what are these 'last minute school stuff / child commitments' ?

Why are the girls' Dad's work commitments more important than yours ? confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now