Talk

Advanced search

Paycut for work/life balance

(15 Posts)
Indigo89 Sat 04-Mar-17 17:12:54

I'm a teacher and have been offered a job, by a friend of a friend, in a totally different profession which would free up my evenings and weekends (I currently mark and plan every week night and 1 day on a weekend) but it's a big pay cut. Approx 8k less.

I feel like jumping at the chance to claw back any kind of personal life and time with family. My only reservation is coping on less income. We would still be able to pay the mortgage and household bills but wouldn't be able to afford the treats and extras we've become accustomed to.

Has anyone else taken a pay cut for the sake of family time together? Do you regret it? How did you find it financially?

BackforGood Sat 04-Mar-17 23:13:57

Yes, in so much as I went from FT to PT rather than another career.
100% the right decision.
Yes, there will always be things we can't afford, but the relief of getting some small part of life back was - and remains - immense.

You just need - if changing careers - to be 100% true that you will get your life back, and that it isn't just a situation where the grass looks greener but isn't once you actually get there. Can you talk to others already doing it ? Go and shadow people in your holidays? Or if not even have a phone conversation or take someone out for a coffee or lunch to question them ? Ask them what the 3 worst things are about the job ? I mean, everyone has moans about their jobs, I'm sure - you just need to be certain they are things you can manage.

OrangeSquashTallGlass Sat 04-Mar-17 23:16:56

I'm a teacher and I'm fully jealous of what you're describing. I think I would take it but I can see why you're unsure.

squizita Thu 30-Mar-17 14:53:11

I changed my role within teaching - a 4k pay cut but better work life balance.

Incidentally, I work at a very, very high pressure outstanding school. I take significant work home but less than what you describe - it sounds like your school's marking policy is still in the realms of deep marking (which my obsessively modern school is anti - not for us but because it's outdated in these days of DIRT time and student reflection). I've picked a school where there is significant pressure within working hours but the marking is tolerable and planning is shared - it's a marking-heavy secondary subject too.

A move of school might work wonders for you, and perhaps then you can have slightly better life and still keep some cash.

Chchchchangeabout Thu 30-Mar-17 14:56:19

You may also be surprised at how much money you can save with a bit more time - see moneysavingexpert Martin Lewis site, mr money mustache, etc

Newmother8668 Thu 30-Mar-17 21:24:05

Yup, I took a pay cut and went from full time to part time. It's worth it. I have only one child due to fertility issues and I wanted to make the most of it. I get to spend 7 hours time with baby, whilst the childminder gets 6 hours. We are on a routine and we saved money. We cut down on a lot of stuff heavily. But, I get to be with my baby and teach him things and be more relaxed too!

FartnissEverbeans Mon 24-Apr-17 18:08:22

I'm a teacher and I don't mark and plan every night. You really don't have to, though it took me a while to realize that. Are you primary or secondary?

ElisavetaFartsonira Tue 25-Apr-17 10:03:16

Yes, by cutting part time hours. It's been fine and don't regret it for a second. I echo the poster who said go through finances with a fine toothed comb and see how much you can save.

FartnissEverbeans Fri 16-Jun-17 19:49:04

Also I gave up a paid responsibility and I'm glad I did.

BikeRunSki Fri 16-Jun-17 20:36:14

13 years ago I took a £4K paycut and have never looked back.

I had been working (often in the office) until 10 pm quite frequently. I had 21 days leave. Flexi time was anything before 8am and after 6pm. Pension was defined benefits.

I am still with the same organisation. Flexi time, 7.4 hr working day, 28 days leave, generous maternity leave, car and final salary pension are so worthwhile.

I agree, that if you can cover your essentials, then you cut your cloth accordingly for the rest. Are tevenings and weekends a fair swap for take seats and a foreign holiday?

BikeRunSki Fri 16-Jun-17 20:37:24

Also, I have subsequently cut my hours. We get by. We'll never be rich, but we manage.

Mistressiggi Fri 16-Jun-17 20:40:32

When the heck do you have time to enjoy the treats and extras anyway if you have only one day and two evenings off a week? I work hard but I don't spend anything like that on schoolwork. That is not sustainable.

Fixmylife Fri 16-Jun-17 21:02:38

How will the holidays compare though? That is quite a bit of family time that you will lose.

DianneDionne Thu 06-Jul-17 21:43:16

I did this - initially I went to part time teaching (secondary) but after a rough few months with working so much I left the profession for a job with a friend (much like you've described). It's a double edged sword, but I'm happy with my decision.

Good bits
I walk out of work and forget about it
I get a lunch break
I manage my own workload/time
I can put holidays in for school spots days/plays etc.
I start later in the mornings most days
I finish earlier in the evening/afternoons when I need to
Sick days for children don't impact my work or the attitude of my colleagues
I like my job!
I can wear more grown up clothes rather than school teacher clothes and sensible shoes - not applicable to everyone obviously.
I have the energy to go to the gym
I have the energy to do things with my children
I have the energy to meet friends for a coffee
My weekends are my own
My patience has improved
I have hobbies

Bad things:
6k paycut - fewer hair cuts/nail apps/spa visits/nights out. We shop in a different establishment now and we haven't upgraded our car this time.
Some evenings I work until 6/7pm but this is always prearranged
I work in the school holidays - I have to rely on childcare and not feel guilty which isn't possible.
I feel like I'm wasting my skills most of the time (this doesn't really bother me at the moment but I think it will).
Work is repetitive and I do miss the interactions I had in the classroom sometimes
I'm worried I won't be 'current' enough if/when the time comes for me to return to teaching.

It is such a personal decision, I love what I'm doing now and I couldn't go back to teaching right now. The lack of money is difficult but we have just really reassessed our spending and can just about manage .

Good luck!

C0untDucku1a Thu 06-Jul-17 21:49:38

I went to 80% teaching instead. Still get school holidays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now