Anyone teaching in the school they're a parent at?

(6 Posts)
Beachpebble Sun 16-Oct-16 20:05:44

So I've recently started teaching part time in my children's Primary school and while it's a blessing in many ways, it's definitely got its drawbacks (relationship with parents/friends as a parent and teacher, worries about your children and how you can approach this without being difficult, etc). I wondered what other people's experiences of this were and how they managed it or what they found hard (Not sure if this is right section to post it in?)

TeacherBob Sat 22-Oct-16 14:55:44

Ive just started teaching at my daughters school and I enjoy it.

I dont make friends with her friends parents and it probably makes a big difference that I am dad rather than mum. mum makes friends, I work

As long as you are professional, and dont discuss school stuff with parents, I dont see a problem

Beachpebble Fri 28-Oct-16 20:05:20

Yes, I enjoy it too, TeacherBob and am of course professional.

I do find it hard though because I was friends with parents before I worked there and that's important to me.

Whilst I feel the need for professional distance with parents whose children I teach, I do value my persona as a parent as well and value the friendships I've established. But I feel that side, 'being a parent', is taking a back seat and can't coexist with being a teacher.

I'm probably over analysing and should try and relax about it more.

personalisedmummy Mon 31-Oct-16 21:39:22

I work at my children's school, I have a son and daughter there. It has loads of benefits but what I have found difficult is when my child has misbehaved and when he is not being academically challenged as he is a very intelligent child. I have compromised certain expectations because they are my colleagues and to avoid any uncomfortableness x

Eolian Mon 31-Oct-16 22:12:00

I teach one hour a week (MFL) at my ds's primary (including teaching my ds) and I do ad hoc supply teaching at my dd's secondary school (where dh is also deputy head). I haven't had any issues with it at all tbh.I suppose if I were a main primary teacher or more permanent at the secondary I might find it hard if I had behaviour problems with the child of a parent I knew, but as things stand, that's never arisen. I don't find the 'professional distance' thing bothers me.

busyrascal Mon 31-Oct-16 22:21:19

Ooh watching with interest!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now