Talk

Advanced search

Older kids are still your kids

(4 Posts)
dragonforce213 Tue 11-Oct-16 15:39:43

I know this probably isn't relevant to lots of people out there but my 24 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with depression and I have no idea how to deal with this. She's been prscribed anti deprssants but I don't know what I can do to support her as she goes through god knows what. She has shut me out. It's just the 2 of us at home, her Dad works overseas but is on email. Anyone got any experience of this how do you deal with it?

Dreamfrog Sun 23-Oct-16 22:40:29

Hi. Yes Your kids are always your kids no matter what age they are.
I can't give solid advice but I wanted to answer. Being there for her as you are , listening but not telling her what to do. Acknowledge her feelings and Her depression. Just being there is perfect.

dragonforce213 Mon 24-Oct-16 09:09:17

Thanks Dreamfrog. It's nice to know that someone understands. I phoned MIND about the situation and they said exactly the same thing. I just wish I could wave a magic wand and she would be better. There's no quick solutions or easy answers for this. Thanks for your support. xx

Bloopbleep Mon 24-Oct-16 09:14:52

This happened to me at 26 and my mum didn't deal with it too well. She made it all about her and how I was hurting her by feeling suicidal and kept asking had she not been a good mum etc. What I needed was someone to listen when I felt able to talk and that wasn't a 24/7 desire to talk (another of my mums ideas) - be her friend but also be her mum, she still needs her mum. Give her the opportunity to talk to you if she wants but also let her know it's ok if she doesn't want to talk to you. Take her lead. Don't start to be someone different to the mum she's known her whole life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now