Talk

Advanced search

Have I been discriminated against at work

(6 Posts)
eatingforonemore Mon 08-Aug-16 01:34:53

I only started the job at the end of May and I was really enjoying it. I fell very ill and had to take time off from July 8th till the 28th due to having to have a lumbar puncture due to my chronic illness flaring up. I tried to go back midway through that absence (19/7) but I wasn't ready and had to go home within two hours. I then had to go back to A&E on Wednesday due to back pain and was there from about 4am till 7pm. I went back on Friday (no shift on the Thursday) to be told due to my absences I hadn't passed probation and would be let go with immediate effect.

I supplied my employer with a sick line from the 20th to the 27th and offered my discharge notes from my hospital stay and a letter from my neurologist but they said that it was fine they understood.

I've been told by ACAS to send a letter to a senior manager and get in touch with equality human rights about it which I will get sorted tomorrow but really unsure if I've been discriminated against due to my chronic illness which I disclosed when I started the job.

ChipIn Thu 01-Sep-16 06:00:24

Without knowing all the facts, it sounds like you have. They have confirmed its due to absences which were for medical reasons.

StealthPolarBear Mon 31-Oct-16 22:25:40

Does your ill ess count as a disability? Sounds like it probably does.

mamma12 Mon 31-Oct-16 22:33:31

To be honest you're probably much better off having a look at the information on discrimination on the citizens advice bureaus website and then calling ehrc tomorrow rather than asking on mumsnet. It's a bit like finding yourself on some medical forum and worrying yourself silly when you're better off going to the GP. I really hope you feel better and find the answer you're looking for. flowers

Pinkandbluemcdonald5 Mon 31-Oct-16 22:36:46

Are you well enough to be at work? From what I read you were only really there for a month and then off for 20 days. I don't know If its discrimination or not. But it doesn't sound like you are ready to work at all .

Amaried Wed 15-Feb-17 21:48:49

I'm afraid that during your probation you can be let go without any consequences.
I'd concentrate on your health and getting well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now