Talk

Advanced search

missing out on the school run/school gate stuff

(3 Posts)
susannahmoodie Sun 22-Nov-15 20:41:04

I woh FT. Dh works pt and does most school pick ups drop offs. Ds1 just started in reception this year. He has a good circle of friends before school via nursery and our friends' kids, but for a range of reasons not many of these kids go to his school but he seems to have settled so far. Been on a play date and had 4/5 party invites. I'm pretty oblivious to school hate politics as I'm never there, but otherwise v supportive of his schooling obs- I'm always posting stuff on the learning journey app thing and he does his reading with me every day.

Anyway, today I went to a party for the first time and I realised I don't fit in at all with most of the rest of the school mums....they are all v glamorous wag types (don't mean that disparagingly- it is a town well known for its premier footballer population!) and I'm erm not. I also saw on fb there was a "reception mummies" night out on Friday which I wasn't invited to- this doesn't bother me in itself as I have plenty of friends but I worry about it for ds's sake- how important is it to cultivate these school gate type relationships? How do other wohm do it??

Before at nursery all other mums were
Wohms too as that is why they were in nursery but this is a v different crowd/vibe.....

cromwell44 Sun 22-Nov-15 20:47:04

If they are not your type be grateful that you don't have to make small talk with them every day and get get involved in the school micro-dramas. Sounds as if it isn't affecting your son's friendships as he's had ply days and party invites. As a WOHP, I always felt like I was lurking at the back' when attending school stuff but in all honesty, I was glad to be a little removed.

susannahmoodie Sun 22-Nov-15 21:22:22

Thanks! That's sort of how I felt previously but today made me doubt myself a little. One of the mums today who I know and get on with did say that I was 'best out of it' wrt school gate politics etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now