Private prinary - better wraparound childcare for WOHP?

(7 Posts)
iheartshoes Wed 12-Aug-15 21:50:06

Has anyone opted to go private at primary for partly this reason? I worry that when I go back to work (will be full time) DD will only be reception age - the before and after school care provided by catchment state school is patchy and I'm not sure it's particularly high quality. I know childminders are an option but I'm not sure how secure I feel leaving DD solely in the care of one person. I wondered if any other WOHP have chosen private education at primary level for the level of wraparound and pastoral rather than academic reasons. I am studying at the moment so not earning at all so even after paying fees we would be significantly better off p/month. I also am wondering if this might help with any guilty feelings I may have about long days away from DD if I know she is in a smaller class, more 1:1 attention etc. Our catchment state is generally well thought of but very big (32 in a class, 6 classes in each year). If I wasn't going to be working I would quite happily send her there as I would then be around a lot more for any issues but I am so looking forward to going back to work and have been studying to achieve this since DD was born. Anyone else been in a similar boat and what did you decide?

Siolence Wed 12-Aug-15 22:02:15

Every independent school is different. Some have activities on free most days, some have paid wrap around. Some are mostly boarding so all kids in school until after 6 each day as the structure works round the boarders.

iheartshoes Thu 13-Aug-15 23:11:08

Thanks Siolence the ones I am looking at are day schools and seem to offer a mixture of paid care and before/after school club. Just bumping to see if anyone else has been in this situation

PatriciaHolm Fri 14-Aug-15 20:03:57

On the flip side, holidays are generally significantly longer, so you'll incur more costs there too.

CMOTDibbler Sun 23-Aug-15 20:01:05

We did - ds is just moving to state middle school now at 9, having been at independant from yrR to yr4.
It meant he could do after school clubs, which wouldn't have been possible with a CM or the available after school clubs locally, and the holiday club was very good.

We decided to move out for financial reasons, and that he was able to now walk to/from school on his own, and activities in this age range start later so we can take him (I work from home, so he isn't coming to an empty house, but at this age can get on and do his homework without needing parental care)

Hulababy Sun 23-Aug-15 20:06:33

Dd's old independent primary had wrap around care - mix of 'free' activities and paid for breakfast/after school care.

Breakfast club started at 7:30am iirr (school started at 8:30 but could drop from 8:15) and asc available til 6pm (school finished at 3:30 in infants, 3:45 in juniors). There was 'free' asc until 4pm. Activities ran until 4:30-5:00. Asc available til 6.

In the longer school holidays - Easter and Christmas the school ran a paid for holiday club, in school within the ore school setting but only for children under 8y.

iheartshoes Sat 05-Sep-15 07:03:24

Thanks all. Just bumping to see if anyone else can share. I have also realised that local prinary would do staggered start for the first month and I don't think the private we are looking at does that. So that would mean me putting my return to work back by at least the first term I suppose. Hmmmm!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now