Talk

Advanced search

Would you go for it?

(10 Posts)
ToFleaOrNotToFlea Sun 12-Jul-15 22:25:09

I am excited that I may have a potential job offer (been approached) on a good salary, car and promotion. However, I currently work part time and the new job would be 4 days in the office and one day at home. The commute would be long so i would have to leave early and put my son into breakfast club from 7am. He is only 4.

This, coupled with the fact that i would not be around for DS as much as I am now is putting me off accepting it. Otherwise, I am excited for the opportunity to have a proper career again and have something for myself.

Should I go for it? Or would DS suffer?

ToFleaOrNotToFlea Mon 13-Jul-15 07:01:44

Bump

Nolim Mon 13-Jul-15 07:08:19

What about after school? Fwiw many kids go to breakfast club, i dont think they "suffer."

FirstOfficerDouglasRichardson Mon 13-Jul-15 07:08:40

Only you can decide. My DS (5) goes to breakfast club every day and has lots of fun, he also goes to after school club but only for 1 day a week. It works fine for us, but if I had to send him to after school club as well as breakfast club every day I would think twice. Will you be able to drop off and pick up? What arrangements would you have in place for holidays? Do you have a supportive and hands on partner? Working is a necessary for me, for sanity as well as financially. I have to work but only if my DS is happy and doesn't suffer.

ToFleaOrNotToFlea Mon 13-Jul-15 07:11:20

My in laws would be perhaps be on hand to pick DS up from school afterwards. They may even offer to take him to school a couple of mornings a week but I don't want to rely on that as it is a huge commitment.

callamia Mon 13-Jul-15 07:14:00

Is there no hope of flexible working to avoid such an early start? Do you have a partner who can do similar? Would the wage allow you to pay someone to be at your house in the morning? Sorry for lots of questions, but I think there must be an alternative to those very early mornings.

In principle, I am all for promotions. Some just need a bit of creative thinking.

ToFleaOrNotToFlea Mon 13-Jul-15 07:22:35

Yes we could look into paying someone to take DS to school 4 mornings a week, that would be better than him starting his day at school at 7am.

I am not sure if the company would be flexible as it is a full time role, and if I was to drop DS off at school at 8.45 every day, i would not arrive at the office until 10.15 so that would not work.

MyGastIsFlabbered Mon 13-Jul-15 07:29:59

I put my son in breakfast club, he loved it, I hated it! It just felt so wrong to me to send him out in the morning without eating. However, I was in a dead end job I hated, so when DS2's nursery closed it wasn't a hard decision to leave my job and take DS1 out of breakfast club. However, a few times he's said he wishes he still went!

ToFleaOrNotToFlea Mon 13-Jul-15 07:36:15

Ha ha, it is nice to know he actually enjoyed himself though!!
Such a dilemna! I want to forward my career but feel guilty about DS!

worldsworstmum2015 Wed 15-Jul-15 22:52:32

Breakfast club at my dcs school doesn't open til 7.50....... can your dh do a couple of morning drops and the grandparents come to your house on the other days as you leave for work to get your ds up and ready for school?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now