Talk

Advanced search

Which is better with young DC, shift work or set pattern?

(2 Posts)
Alb1 Tue 16-Jun-15 18:48:27

Abit of a difficult question really as it's probably different for everyone, but I'm coming back off maternity leave and going into a new job and I don't no what's best. Option 1 is full time job, Monday-Friday 8.30-5, so it's set secure hours, good money, but childcare will cost loads. Option 2 is part time shift work, so shifts would normally be like 6.30-2 or 2-11, hours would move around a lot and I'd earn less money, but DH works shifts and so id get to see him more, we'd spend a lot less on childcare and I'd get to spend a lot more time with the DC, DS is only 9 months so he's always in bed by 6.30-7.

Part time seems like the obvious answer in a lot of ways but the full time option also would give me a better career option.

To give abit more info aswell as DS (9months) I also have a 13 year old (not mine but I'm her legal guardian) so in school holidays I don't no what I'd do with her if I was never home during the day.

Don't really no what answers I'm expecting to get, just want to see if anyone has any views and if anyone that does work full time would take the alternative if they could? Thanks to anyone who's made it to the end of this! smile

diploddycus Tue 16-Jun-15 18:52:53

If both you and your husband work shifts then childcare might be difficult to arrange so set hours would be better in that sense. I like shift work though because I find it easier to arrange appointments and things for DC if you can swap a shift or finish earlier sometimes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now