Anyone work long hours with young dc?

(5 Posts)
nameChangeQueen Thu 04-Jun-15 10:47:12

I'm on mat leave atm and have a dd who will be 1 when I go back to work which is coming up soon.

When I'm working, with commute included I will be out the house 7.30am-7.30pm mon-fri. Is this normal? Most people I know of or read about on here seem to be home a lot earlier.

I've thought of asking work to move to part time but the thought of phoning them actually makes me feel physically sick. They havent been in touch with me for ages, I'm worried they don't want me back although when I was there I know I did a great job. I get anxiety and am having really bad anxiety attacks whenever I even think about work. It took me a long time to summon the courage to even write this post!

TiesThatBind Thu 04-Jun-15 15:49:34

Definitely ask for what you want!

My job pre DC was equally full on days, and ultimately I decided I wanted to be home by 530/6pm even if that meant working 8 till 10pm at home

Initially they were happy to accommodate flexible hours and then we agreed a change in role so I could (almost always) be home for bath time.

Means I am not getting the promotions or pay rises I would otherwise be, however it is a better balance for me right now.

On the other hand some of my colleagues have stayed doing 8 - 8 ish days with children and it works for them.

Good luck!

nameChangeQueen Fri 05-Jun-15 19:14:58

Thanks for the reply. I don't even know when my maternity leave ends. I'm dreading going back to work! I'm sure once it's all sorted and I know what's going on it won't be so bad, it's just something I've been putting to the back of my mind for so long and every time I think of it I get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

overitalready Fri 05-Jun-15 19:19:24

My dc is 12 so not young however i do a 12 hour working day plus and hours travel each way.

Its hard graft.

However you should make the call to work and request different hours/days whilst still on maternity leave. Im sure they have to at least look at your request.

notquiteruralbliss Thu 11-Jun-15 18:49:21

I did for most of DCs early childhood. Usually away for 12 plus hours per day. I didn't actually consider an alternative and just assumed that DCs would slot in. It worked fine, but DH had much more flexible hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now