Talk

Advanced search

Any parents work late?

(6 Posts)
ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 02-Jun-15 09:15:32

My shifts mean I finish at 11pm some nights. After driving home, winding down etc, I often cant fall asleep til 1am.

My DC (3.6 and 7mo) are usually up at 6.30/7. On weekdays, DH gets up with them and wakes me about ten mins beforehe has to leave for work (so usually 7.15am with a brew).

It exhausts me! Have another Late tonight (followed by an Early shift tomorrow so I will be up and out by 7am).

Any other late workers on here who may have tips on getting to sleep any earlier or feeling less tired during the day?

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 02-Jun-15 23:30:54

Bump

littleshorty Thu 04-Jun-15 17:02:32

I work late sometimes 11 or midnight I know what you mean about winding down, can never get straight into bed.
Up at 7.30 everyday to do school run. I think for me it's the irregular hours rather than the lateness that tires me out.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 04-Jun-15 18:28:42

Yeah if it was the same lates same days every time thered be a schedule to it whichwould make it easier.

It gets to the point a couple of times a week when I literally feel like I shouldnt be driving im that tired.

attheendoftheday Thu 06-Aug-15 13:53:21

I'm home around 11.30pm 3 days a week (after a 6.30am start!). My kids are always up by 6.30 and often during the night. I have no advice but much sympathy.

The only things that get me through is looking forward to my next lie in (about once a fortnight and rigidly alternated between dp and I), sleeping in my lunch break (when I get one) and having an early night on the other nights.

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Thu 06-Aug-15 13:58:54

I'm a backshift worker. My dc are school during the day but when they were little I found it so hard. I ended up having to drop my shifts from 4 down to two. I'm back up to 5 shifts now. Essentially you are doing a double shift, and I too can only really offer sympathy sad
If I can give you one tip, its drop your standards and expectations of what can be done during the day. Sleep every chance you get and take help when its offered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now