Talk

Advanced search

Oooh...welcome all WOHP's!

(85 Posts)
CornwallsFinest Fri 22-May-15 18:45:07

Good evening!

Thought I would start a new thread in the new topic. Feels a bit strange though! Might settle in with a wine

Who's glad Friday is over and its a bank holiday weekend? I've just started a new job with new challenges so the last couples of weeks have gone fast but loving it! Have been working since DS was 9 months and full time when he was 2.

Are we all WOHPs with a WOHPartner/Husband or is anyone's the SAHD? My partner is a qualified professional but has been SAHD since DS was 2 and will return to work when DS goes to school in Sept. Although his first 2 weeks at school are going to be half days which will be difficult to manage if he isn't at home so I think he will wait until DS is settled full time.

Any plans for this weekend?

chickensandbees Fri 22-May-15 18:50:47

Ooh! Hello.

We've got the week off and are going on holiday tomorrow to France. Can't wait to spend a whole week with the DDs and drink lots of wine in the evenings!!

I work full time but WFH 2 days a week. DH works 4 days a week and will be going full time when DD2 starts school in September. We have no before and after school care at school, but have got great parents and have got good at juggling.

Work has been hard the last few weeks. Lots of travelling and I am so happy to be on holiday.

winewinewine

CultureSucksDownWords Fri 22-May-15 18:53:35

Hi. I work part time, DP full time. We're off on holiday next week too - about time too :-)

thatstoast Fri 22-May-15 18:55:45

Ooh this is new.

I work 3 days so have Thursday & Friday off. 2 day week next week! In all honesty I'm not a big bank holiday fan as it messes up my schedule.

DH works full time and will hopefully be home soon. He's working the weekend but thankfully will have Monday off.

Cassie258 Fri 22-May-15 18:56:45

Oooh this is an exciting section!

DP and I both work full time. Child care is the bane (?) of my life. I'm fed up of paying it.

How's everyone else cope?

Happy Friday!!!!! winewinewine

CornwallsFinest Fri 22-May-15 19:00:18

Have lovely holidays! I hadn't booked anything as I was looking to change jobs and didn't want anything to influence a negative decision so we may opt for something last minute just before DS starts school. So expensive though.

Chickens I'm already setting the juggling process in place. I'm quite fortunate that my new job is a stones throw away from the school so will be able to do the morning drop offs. My family is going to help pick up but we may have to use after school clubs 2 days a week. Need to start looking at how much it will cost.

Where are you off to Culture?

CultureSucksDownWords Fri 22-May-15 19:03:37

Oh, only the Lake District not foreign climes! My DP has been doing long stressful hours at work recently and is in dire need of a holiday, anywhere!

I do like the Lakes though, and very tragically enjoy going to the Tebay services on the motorway!

CornwallsFinest Fri 22-May-15 19:03:56

Cassie yes, we used a mixture of nursery (where I used to work so hardly any juggling before and after) and family although it was only for just over a year. So expensive.

Thatstoast I love BH!

PinkSquash Fri 22-May-15 19:11:35

Just tentatively stepping into the this forum as I'm currently a SAHM but I start work in June and I'm terrified. DH and I hope to work around each others shifts to keep childcare costs down but I won't know what days I work until i start.

Happy Friday all. wine

CultureSucksDownWords Fri 22-May-15 19:15:20

That's a difficult thing to plan for Pink, hopefully it works itself out.

CornwallsFinest Fri 22-May-15 19:16:22

Welcome Pink flowers How long have been a SAHM? Any fears you feel able to share? Change can be pretty scary, I know DP is pretty nervous returning to work, part of his fears are that he won't be able to return in the same capacity as his area changes so often. He is currently deciding on possibly taking a different route which is terrifying him a little!

BumTum Fri 22-May-15 19:16:43

Can I join too please? Lovely to be surrounded by those in a similar boat!

I'm currently on mat leave with DD2 but due to go back full time in a couple of months. After DD1 I did 3 days pw for a bit then 4 days. I struggled a bit with 4 days but I worked from home a lot so really felt like a SAHM working a full time job in 4 days.

I'm gutted to be away from the DDs so much and have to not really think about it too much. BUT - I know I'm not cut out for staying home I'm a bit bored and frustrated tbh and being the higher, more stable earner (DH is self employed) we don't have much choice. I'm thinking time spent with my babies will be on a quality over quantity basis.

Child are will be a complicated mix of grandparent, nursery, preschool and DH cutting back his hours. I'm a bit nervous about it but overall hopeful and happy with the arrangements. We have struggled with overexcited GPs who didn't see the DDs that much before but who will now have them on a weekly basis so I'm hoping it will just take the edge of that side of things a bit.

One other benefit is really really low childcare costs and we plan to overpay on our mortgage now so that potentially in 10 years we'll have more flexibility and less pressure finance-wise, at a time - as everyone keeps telling me - when supposedly the children will need us even more than they do now.

Saying all that.... I'm worried about feeling guilty about working ft and making peace with that feeling that I'll be missing out on these precious young years so if anyone has any tips for dealing with that side of things, I'd love to hear smile

katiegg Fri 22-May-15 19:18:28

hello! can I join? currently on maternity leave but going back to work full time in two weeks. might be along to pickle your heads about being organised and getting everyone out of the house by 7.30 am (the very idea of it seems completely impossible at the moment!)

chickensandbees Fri 22-May-15 19:18:57

Friday is the best day of the week!

I do enjoy my job though and although I fantasise about it I can't imagine not working. However now I wfh twice a week I couldn't give that up for anything.

I think thats one of the problems after you have kids is that you are so grateful to have a flexible job that it makes it really hard to leave. So you get stuck.

But they are worth it!

FairyPenguin Fri 22-May-15 19:19:13

Ooh hello! I work part-time and DH works full-time. I'm very lucky in that I have a term-time hours contract so I'm off work next week. (Cue my colleagues commenting on how I've only just come back from 2 weeks off at Easter). DH hasn't got any time off next week but we're looking forward to the long weekend.

JuiceInAWineGlass Fri 22-May-15 19:19:16

Hello- I'm about to be a WOHP, currently in my last couple of weeks of mat leave. I'm going to be working PT, DH works very FT- it's going to be interesting....�� just thinking about it! Enjoy your holidays, very jealous- we're just back from ours.

Very Happy Friday ������

Tangoandcreditcards Fri 22-May-15 19:25:50

Ooh. Hello!

I've been a WOHP since I returned from mat leave in Dec. DS is 15 mo. DP is a SAHD, he was made redundant when I was pregnant. He freelances now, out-of-hours but it's been so busy the last few weeks we're starting to think about PT childcare... But it's difficult as he doesn't know if it's going to stay this busy. I'm also 8wks pg so fingers crossed I'll be back for a few months of SAHPing early next year. I'll hang around here until then!

Lots of you just due to go back to work I see. I just couldn't believe how little TIME there was once i was FT working again. When do people write birthday cards and get their hair cut???

themummyonthebus Fri 22-May-15 19:27:24

Both DH and I are WOH. I've just changed job with a good promotion so DH is having to be a bit more present, but we share things pretty equally so it's not a big issue.

we have 2 DC, one at infants, the other with a CM. We have flexible office jobs with no fixed hours so wer can leave early/arrive late if needed and even pop out for a couple of hours in the middle of the day to help with school outings so that's good.

This new topic is great. I'm going to have to post here later for advice on how to manage a new team member. Really love my new job and responsibilities (and pay rise wink ) but this people management stuff is stressing me out at the moment.

BumTum Fri 22-May-15 19:42:08

chickensandbees I had my flexibility pulled from beneath me so be careful. I also stayed in my job for the flexibility and have been pretty underpaid at the same time. Now the flexibility has gone I'm kind of wondering what the hell I'm staying for.

tango I'm hoping to use lunch breaks for hair/gym/shopping/cards/post office etc. And the odd afternoon or morning off here and there for longer stuff.

BumTum Fri 22-May-15 19:43:04

Ps and congrats on the pg tango. Hope you're feeling well! Working with morning sickness is no fun!!

Stealthsquiggle Fri 22-May-15 19:46:27

Full time WOHP with WOH DH here. Checking in and place marking. Our flexibility comes from being able to work @ home when we don't have meetings but is countered by the fact that when I do have meetings they are, more often than not, out of the country.

ElleyBear13 Fri 22-May-15 19:51:24

Hello all! I'm not sure if I can join yet as I have no kiddies running about but expecting second baby in August (first we lost) I work part time and hubby is full time. We're quite lucky in that husband works 12 hour shifts over four days, so has three days at home.

Currently trying to decide whether when I do go back after mat leave to take evening shifts at work, three days a week? (5-12 midnight) or to stick to days and pay for childcare for two days. Any experience?

DuelingFanjo Fri 22-May-15 19:55:20

I went back to work full time when DS was 10 months old. He starts school in September and now I am hoping to compress hours to collect him from school.

PandaMummyofOne Fri 22-May-15 20:04:12

Ooooooo yayyyy I sometimes feel like I can't post that I work for fear of a flaming. I'm a teacher and work four days a week. Although I'm applying for new full time jobs. DP is the local toff boys golf club manager who works full time. Plus weekend cover. DS is 2 and spends two days a week in nursery and two days between IL's and DM.

Can't wait to have this week off. It's coming up I our busiest time now. Signing Learners off and interviewing new ones. Plus finishing the last bits of this year and putting the new courses into place do September, not to mention the redundancy announcements. It's been a hell of a month!

princesssofiasmum Fri 22-May-15 20:08:02

Hello! we are 2 ft working parents in this house. One preschooler in ft nursery - no family in this country. Baby no. 2 due in Nov. One of the reasons for age gap is that dd will be at school and nursery for 2 would be more than my salary. I want to go back ft after my mat leave for career/selfish reasons but I waited until dd was 3 to go from pt to ft so starting to have worries about putting a 1 year old in ft nursery. Would like to hear others experiences of this. I'm also not a high flier/have little flexibility in my job (no wfh/flexi hours) but I enjoy working, feel more equal with my Dh and like the social side of an office. Most of the nursery parents I meet are in much more professional jobs than me and I feel that most people in jobs like me would give up work if they didn't have free childcare from family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now