Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for using up nasty red wine

(17 Posts)
Sparkletastic Wed 03-Jan-18 18:04:21

This is going to come across as thoroughly ungrateful but ILs have given us a case of red wine for Christmas that tastes like very alcoholic Ribena. They gave us the same case for DH's birthday and half of that remains on the rack. Other than fobbing it off to unsuspecting friends at dinner parties has anyone got any good recipes / drinks to use it up on? It's what the Sunday Times refers to as a 'Big Red' if that helps.

honeysucklejasmine Wed 03-Jan-18 18:05:37

They say if you don't like to drink it, don't cook with it either.

However, I would either mull it in winter or sangria in summer. Enough heavy flavours in either to mask a bad wine.

Bumsnetnetbums Wed 03-Jan-18 18:05:38

Clean the sink?

honeysucklejasmine Wed 03-Jan-18 18:06:35

And either tell them you don't like it, or suggest you'd like to try a different wine next time, or you'll have two cases a year forever.

Sparkletastic Wed 03-Jan-18 18:12:34

Sangria is a great plan! Never quite get my arse into gear to mull anything. We should tell them I know. They are epically shit at present buying so this should have been a safe bet. It's just that DH and I like a dry red and swerve the jammy ones. I will tell him to manage his parents.... They asked us for money for Christmas. Maybe I should return the wine for their birthdays grin

80sMum Wed 03-Jan-18 18:16:43

Coq au vin uses loads of red wine. I also use red wine for poached pears. Both turn out well.

NeverUseThisName Wed 03-Jan-18 18:27:04

A jammy wine may make a decent sangria. Or you could have a student's sangria: red wine and Pepsi grin (I remember it as being very nice, but then I wasn't a drinker).

If it's just not to your taste, rather than actually nasty, then it will be fine for cooking with. Add a generous glass to any stew or tomato-based sauce. Not just red meat, chicken, fish and pulses stew really nicely in red wine.

A jammy wine makes a very nice wine jelly. Blackcurrant jelly made up with equal volumes of wine and water. Or higher proportion of wine, but may then need to use less liquid overall (a long time since I made wine jelly, so I don't remember exactly).

Tartyflette Wed 03-Jan-18 18:38:01

You could make a simple stock, using equal quantities of the red wine and beef stock (from a bottle of stock concentrate or those jellied things in little plastic packs, diluted with water), bring to the boil and reduce it a bit. Add some herbs to taste, a pinch of sugar if it's eye-wateringly acid, or squeeze of lemon juice if too sweet.
Then freeze it in small portions, eg ice-cube trays, and use a few whenever you're making gravy, pasta sauce, casseroles or minced beef dishes.
Tip - after the stock has frozen decant the cubes into plastic freezer bags. They should stay free-flowing.

Sparkletastic Wed 03-Jan-18 19:20:01

Some brilliant ideas thank you all! Wouldn't have thought of stock. Poached pears I love. Scared of Student Sangria 😱

shushpenfold Wed 03-Jan-18 19:21:28

Boeuf bourgignon.....uses a shed load of wine, esp if you do a batch cook. X

Sparkletastic Wed 03-Jan-18 19:34:47

Ooooo yes could fancy a nice boeuf bourgignon!

DullAndOld Wed 03-Jan-18 19:35:52

Mix it with Coca Cola for a lovely Calimuxto...

pluginbaby00 Wed 03-Jan-18 19:46:24

Equal volume of chicken stock and cheap red wine, bring to boil, add brown sugar then reduce makes a delicious gravy for chicken.

NeverUseThisName Wed 03-Jan-18 22:27:41

Oops - mistake. Don't cook pulses in wine, it makes them tough IIRC. It's fine with tinned beans, as they're already cooked. It's grains that cook well in wine.

Tuareg Tue 13-Feb-18 20:02:20

Make red wine vinegar.

FogCutter Tue 13-Feb-18 20:14:48

This beef recipe is lush and uses up a whole bottle of red wine in the marinade!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/braisedbeeff_inredd_wine_79613

ScreamingValenta Tue 13-Feb-18 20:16:15

Use some in a chilli or bolognese.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: