Which red wine?

(4 Posts)
nicelyneurotic Wed 07-Dec-16 16:15:24

Can anyone recommend a nice red for under £10? Does this exist? The person I'm buying for likes red wine best. I've already got their main gift so this would be a little extra thing.

I don't really drink wine and am a bit clueless. I don't want to get something awful!

Otherpeoplesteens Thu 08-Dec-16 12:39:35

At the £10 level, I tend to think the most interesting and best value wines tend to come from Portugal.

If you have access to a branch of Aldi, see if you can get hold of a bottle of the Lot 20 Douro Grande Reserva which is £9.99. It is very dark, almost black, very well structured with hints of chocolate and black cherry typical of the Douro valley table wines, but much softer tannins than you would get from a comparable Bordeaux fine wine costing two or more times as much. It needs to be decanted a couple of hours before drinking to bring out its best.

Waitrose have one called Tinta da Anfora, normally £9.99 but down to £7.99 at the moment according to the website. This is a modern new world-style fruit bomb which will appeal to those who like Australian and South African reds, but want something a little more unusual.

If neither of these are practical, let us know what shops you can get to and we'll rethink.

nicelyneurotic Thu 08-Dec-16 13:31:08

Wow thanks so much for your reply. Both sound great so I'll check them both out. Thank you!!

abc12345 Sat 18-Mar-17 22:13:44

Barolo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now