Talk

Advanced search

Old champagne - drink or sling?

(14 Posts)
Princesspigeon Tue 15-Nov-16 19:50:33

My husband won a magnum of champagne about 20 years ago, I wasn't with him at the time- we met 7 years ago.

Anyway, this magnum is still in the cupboard and it's taking up space unloved. Can we drink it?? I don't want to get food poisoning trying!

It's Veuve Clicquot Brut if that matters??

MyCatIsABiggerBastardThanYours Tue 15-Nov-16 19:53:02

Open it and see what it's like. I had some vintage champagne a week ago of a similar age and it was a bit sherry like but very nice regardless.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Tue 15-Nov-16 19:53:46

send it to me for disposal...it's not a bother.

Bluntness100 Tue 15-Nov-16 19:56:20

Google it, the year and the make, sometimes they have a value and uou can sell it to a wine merchant.

I have two bottles of very old champagne from my grandmothers house, about 30 years old, and I keep them. We won't drink them but am sure at some point in the future my daughter will inherit and hopefully by then they will be worth quite a lot more. Right now they are worth about 200 quid each and yes undrinkable, as it tells you when uou google it.

olderthanyouthink Tue 15-Nov-16 19:57:19

How can you get food poisoning from alcohol, that's part of the point of alcohol?

And I don't drink but people pay loads for old booze, just think vintage

Princesspigeon Tue 15-Nov-16 20:02:31

Well, I thought maybe some deadly mold might kill me grin

There no year on it, I'm not sure if I could prove it was that old Bluntness.

hmcAsWas Tue 15-Nov-16 20:06:35

How did your husband manage to avoid drinking the champagne for 20 years ? shock confused [marvels in wonderment]

Princesspigeon Tue 15-Nov-16 20:13:04

I know. I think he was proud of the win so kept it like a trophy!! and he doesn't really drink Champagne.

The mind does boggle how it's sat in a cupboard all this time.

Madbengalmum Tue 15-Nov-16 20:16:17

Apperently according to a very knowledgeable vintner. If it is vintage champagne then keep it, but if its normal moet, supermarket or even cristalle it will need drinking or it will go off. Avg life about five years then its over the top after that.

Madbengalmum Tue 15-Nov-16 20:17:32

Oh i see its vc, it will be over the top and past its best OP.

DoloresVanCartier Tue 15-Nov-16 20:33:29

OP, just send it my way, I'll dispose of it for you wink and I've also helped you free up some valuable cupboard space for the small price of postage!! It's a win win situation!!
(Don't drink it, it will be gross and I'm quite happy to drink gross champagne but I wouldn't let you put yourself through it, I'm nice like that)

Princesspigeon Thu 17-Nov-16 00:06:33

Very valent offer Dolores but the postage would be sky high!

Do you think I could chuck it in the punch at our Christmas party? wink

Then collect coins in the bottle like people did in big whisky bottles in the 80's grin

Allalonenow Thu 17-Nov-16 00:14:40

Putting it in the Christmas punch would be a very good use for it.

Once opened, taste a little to make sure it isn't too acidic, it may well have lost a lot of its bubbles, but that won't matter in a punch.

I doubt a wine merchant would buy it off you, as who knows what the storage conditions have been all these years.

wine wine wine

Princesspigeon Thu 17-Nov-16 23:38:01

Great, very curious to open it now wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now